Restoration

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Restoration

Post by JerrBear »

This is probably a stUPid question, but that's never stopped me before...

What parts of a switchblade can be replaced, and how many parts can be replaced during "restoration" until you no longer can be considered to have the original knife?
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Jerrbear
I won't touch this one with a ten foot pole. I'll wait for the man to answer. But I will say sometimes it's kind of sad to see a 13" Latama or Rosco look like it was just made that day and came out of the box. I like the oldies fixed up but I still like to see some retain some of that oldness when ever possible. If a knife is 50 years old it should look 50 years old but clean and any broken parts fixed inside,no cracks or dents but a nice even patina on the blade doesn't bother me. Sort of like dropping a 426 into an old dodge dart. from the outside it looks like a old car then when the light turns green everyone is scratching their head wondering where it disapeared to 8)
PB
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Gee, I don't think there is a set answer for this one.
Switchblades are not switchblades if they don't work, so I think operating parts are OK to replace. As long as the overall character of the knife has been retained, most parts can be replaced. If you put new scales, bolsters, and blade in a knife, I believe that would be overkill. Fortunately, the costs involved seem to preclude "overbuilding" a knife-before you get to that point you would spend more than the knife is worth.
Bill
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Like the ax I have, it's been in my family since the 1600s 8) Honest, it's only had four new handles and two new heads :wink:
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Thanks, Gents!
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
Wally J. Corpse
Level Zero: True Jerk

Post by Wally J. Corpse »

Greetings, Mr. Vagrant-

Superbly en-chuckleated reply, good one!

AS ever,

Your ol' pal,

Wally J. Corpse