Non-autos refirbished or not?

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
orangeboy

Non-autos refirbished or not?

Post by orangeboy »

Hi! I'm a newbie, and I'm sure you've seen them all but I thought I would post a couple pictures for you to see.

Should I get these refurbished or leave them and does anyone have any recommendations/ cost. I've had these since about 1983 when I was about 13. My old man wouldn't let me get a real stiletto, so I managed to "acquire" these. I have grown to really like them. (Too bad they aren't real autos.)

They are non-auto stilettoes, "Made In Italy" with bayo blades, that I would love to see shine. I would like to see the handles looks new again as well.

Should I get these refurbished or leave tham and does anyone have any recommendations/ cost.

Thanks...

thanks for help with the pictures T - you know who you are
Last edited by orangeboy on Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:04 am, edited 6 times in total.
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Orangeboy
The silver plugs for the most part used nichol silver bolsters. Most used carbon steel blade back in the 60's. First of all some flitz or simi-chrome will clean them up nice with a rag. You will need very fine steel wool for the backspring and blade. Now the Gentleman that runs this forum can tell you what you can do to the horn to shine it up and I have long forgotten but he will know.They are worth cleaning up because suddenly they have become a valuable collector's piece and also historicly they are part of the whole Italian puzzle.
PB
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Pushbutton is right- Flitz, Simichrome, or Mother's polish. No Brasso!
0000 steel wool is available at Walmart and most hardware stores. Use it with WD 40 to remove most of the discoloration on the steel parts. Use it dry on the horn to remove most of the discoloration and scratches, then use your blade polish on a rag to buff the scales up. The more you buff, the more they will shine. Don't use steel wool any coarser than 0000.
When you are done a coat of car wax or neutral shoe polish will help everything shine even more.
Bill