Some people!

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Some people!

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Here is a correspondence I just received and replied to:

Mr. xxxx,
I will address each of these issues separately in capitol letters.
I'm sorry that you are unhappy with the work. I'm not exactly happy with your response.
Bill DeShivs

In a message dated 12/14/2023 2:29:09 PM Central Standard Time, xxxxxx@gmail.com writes:

Hello bill, i wanted to respectfully bring up some issues with the work done on my knife and if not able to send it back for more work at least get an explanation for the work done as i am open to the possibility that my lack of knowledge on the subject is responsible for my less than satisfied state.

1. The tip of the blade is barley concealed. The main problem was that the blade didn't lock all the way into place and I feel like it should still fold more into the handle.

WHEN NEW, THESE KNIFE BLADES DID NOT SIT DEEPLY IN THE HANDLE. THE ZINC DIE-CAST HANDLE IS WORN AT THE SEAR AREA, AND I DID ALL THAT COULD BE DONE TO REPAIR IT.

2. I had mentioned that when it opens it doesn’t lock into place. This is evident if you open the knife via the lever and then slightly jostle the blade it then locks into place. This is still the case, it does not lock into place.

THE KNIFE WORKED PROPERLY FOR ME. PERHAPS YOU AREN'T HOLDING IT CORRECTLY WHEN OPENING.

3. I had also asked that the wood and metal
Be polished. I completely understand if this is something you do not know how to do but ot wasn't done and i didn't get a response to the request. If it could not be done i would appreciate a response. But i feel it could be done as you advertise “embellishment” as one of your services.

THERE ISN'T MUCH I "DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO" WITH KNIVES. YOUR KNIFE HANDLE IS ZINC. THE ZINC IS PLATED WITH CHROME. THE CHEAP CHROME PLATING IS FLAKING OFF. IT CAN NOT BE POLISHED.

4. Lastly the blade opens with much less power. This seems to be because the handle or hilt or place where the blade connects or maybe even the whole handle, was tightened. I understand that that was probably necessary but it almost seems as if thats all that was done. My attention goes to the fact that you had originally said it would most likely take a month to fix yet i received it back about 2 weeks after i sent it to you so including shipping time there was only a day or so of work estimated. I understand that it may have taken much less time and you only gave an estimation but considering the state of the knife now Im concerned it may have been rushed.

YES, THE WHOLE KNIFE WAS TIGHTENED. THAT'S HOW WEAR IS COMPENSATED. I MUST SAY-I HAVE NEVER HAD A CUSTOMER COMPLAIN THAT WORK WAS DONE TOO QUICKLY! WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE HOW MUCH "POWER" THE BLADE OPENS WITH-AS LONG AS IT OPENS?

These are my concerns and im open to an explanation for any of these issues but altogether if i cannot send it back for a “redo” at no cost i’ll have to throw the knife away and just order another online.

I GUARANTEE MY WORK. LET ME EXPLAIN SOMETHING-YOUR KNIFE IS A CHEAPLY MADE, ZINC-HANDLED KNIFE-AS CHEAP AS THEY COME. I ASSUMED IT HAD SENTIMENTAL VALUE, OR YOU WOULDN'T HAVE WANTED IT REPAIRED. I ACTUALLY DIDN'T CHARGE YOU THE FULL AMOUNT BECAUSE I FELT BADLY FOR YOU. YOUR KNIFE IS IN AS GOOD CONDITION THAT IT CAN BE IN-CONSIDERING WHAT IT IS. IF I HAD KNOWN IT WAS A DIE-CAST HANDLE, I WOULD NOT HAVE EVEN ACCEPTED IT.

I AM REFUNDING YOUR PAYMENT, LESS THE SHIPPING CHARGES. I SUGGEST YOU LEARN A LITTLE ABOUT QUALITY KNIFE CONSTRUCTION.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Re: Some people!

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

you tell em Bill, as you said, some people.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Probably a woke loon libtard democrat.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

You have to deal with lots of interesting people.....You were generous to return his payment. Good man Bill.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Generous move on your part, as stated. I suppose the events validate the old adage "You can't please all of the people all of the time" (no matter how good you are)

Jim
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Handled well, Bill. Sounds like some kind of short, pre-intake questionnaire might prevent stuff like this happening. Probably no help in this situation as the owner apparently did not recognize all the zinc involved in his piece.
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

I've had the "more power" thing said to me.
I have to tell them, if you install a killer kickspring in a vintage repair. . .
it's going to self destruct in 20 openings or less. . . .
Just be happy you are not picking the blade out from closed with a paper clip.

It's like putting Nitrous in an old chevy 350, you'll burn out your valves and paper gaskets
if you don't spin a bearing or twist your transmission into metal shavings.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

I've sanded zinc to something bright, and clear varnished it (Shootin' Shell Fanner cap guns)
But it is really obvious.

I did a post about chrome paint a few months back.
They make a chrome fingernail polish . .
But it's obviously not as strong as a real chrome plating.

All chrome plated zinc is doomed.
The chrome will have micro pin-holes that let air into the zinc.
the zinc will "rust" white powder (oxidize) and expand,
and the chrome will peel away, day by day, year by year. . .