Chain drive curiosity

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
bunkyz52

Chain drive curiosity

Post by bunkyz52 »

Hello everyone, hoping everyone is well. I recently saw an add for a chain drive knife that fascinated me. I would love to know how the system works. If anyone has any ideas or information and are willing to share it I would appreciate it so much. I've been a mechanic all my life and have some guesses but that's all it is, a guess. Looking forward to seeing your ideas. Happy building :D
Happy collecting/building to one and all. :D
john

Re: Chain drive curiosity

Post by john »

Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
bunkyz52

Post by bunkyz52 »

Hello John, thanks for your response. I took a look at the post and it's got more info than I've seen so far. Some how I gotta see the inside and understand how it actually works. I'm struggling with spending that much money just to satisfy my curiosity but sooner or later I guess I'm gonna have to buy one. Lol, I just gotta know. Thanks again, be well
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Apparently, they have a coil spring that pulls the chain. The sprocket is on the blade pivot.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
bunkyz52

Post by bunkyz52 »

Hello everyone, thanks for your responses. I did get a little info by looking at the YouTube video showing the assembly instructions. It really looks simple. Most of the work is making the liners and the sprocket on the blade. Looks like if you do it right you could omit the blade sprocket altogether if your chain inside width is just a smidgen wider than the blade. Correct me if I'm wrong. Looks like I'm gonna have to try and design and make something similar.
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Post some pictures of your progress, should be interesting. Good luck on it.
2024 candidate for president
bunkyz52

Post by bunkyz52 »

Thanks. I plan on using the mechanics of the Russian ak-47 prison knife. Lol, we'll see what happens
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Should be interesting, good luck with it.
2024 candidate for president