blade over shoots

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
KabirRaut

blade over shoots

Post by KabirRaut »

Hello everyone,,
this is to bill or anyone who might have the answer.

i was playing with a picklock taday and it was a little stiff and wouldn't open all the way to lock in, so i put a few drops of quick release and worked it in. well then i captain america phone case closed it and fired it a few times, now, the blade opens with such force that it blows by the lock tab so that it rests on the blade past the lock pin. any ideas on slowing it down...
Last edited by KabirRaut on Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
JimBrown257

Re: blade over shoots

Post by JimBrown257 »

KabirRaut wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:43 am Hello everyone,,

i was playing with a picklock taday and it was a little stiff and wouldn't open all the way to lock in, so i put a few drops of quick release and worked it in. well then i closed it and fired it a few times, now, the blade opens with such force that it blows by the lock tab so that it rests on the blade past the lock pin. any ideas on slowing it down...

If it wasn't doing that until it was oilded, first try air-spraying the oil out. Granted that is a bail-aid. What you want to do is take the backspring out and bend the top part (above the middle pin) inwards a little. It seems like a lot of the early stilleto makers didn't appreciate the necessary of a good tight bakcpsring. It really is the key to a solid auto.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

KabirRaut wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:43 am Hello everyone,,

i was playing with a picklock taday and it was a little stiff and wouldn't open all the way to lock in, so i put a few drops of quick release and worked it in. well then i closed it and fired it a few times, now, the blade opens with such force that it blows by the lock tab so that it rests on the blade past the lock pin. any ideas on slowing it down...

If it wasn't doing that until it was oilded, first try air-spraying the oil out. Granted that is a bain-aid. What you want to do is take the backspring out and bend the top part (above the middle pin) inwards a little. It seems like a lot of the early stilleto makers didn't appreciate the necessary of a good tight bakcpsring. It really is the key to a solid auto.
john

Post by john »

Or
You could peen the pivot pin; just a few gentle taps may solve your knife’s problem. Use a two ounce or lighter hammer.
Good luck
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed