Springs please

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
SwitchGear

Springs please

Post by SwitchGear »

Springs-
Speaking about Italian autos, or reallly kick spring knives.
Some have springs that include the entire back spring lock hole etc.

Others are 2 piece, I guess that’s what you’d call it?

I have to assume a knife with “2 piece” is going to be an easier, quicker repair / replace?

The “one piece” spring would include much more labor to repair?

Question is:
Is there one better than the other or just 2 different building options?
JimBrown257

Re: Springs please

Post by JimBrown257 »

The two piece is much, much easier to repair than a one piece. With a two-piece, you just pull the broken half out and put in a new spring. With a one piece, you have to cut away a large amount of hardened steel to make room for the new spring. The hardened steel is about the same hardness as a file or hacksaw so it's difficult. If there is enough space (there usually isn't) you can carve a slot in the metal so a spring slips in like on a normal two-piece. But often, the only way to do it is carving a little dovetail cut-out in the backspring to install a dovetail spring.

On top of all that, as a general rule, one-piece spring knives generally aren't worth putting all that effort into.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Were the 2-piece springs used exclusively before a certain year, or are they still used in more modern production? If the sample was a pre-ban year piece, is it safe to assume it has the 2-spring?

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Almost all of the old autos used separate springs. Few do today.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.