Pivot pins... choices...

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
kugr

Pivot pins... choices...

Post by kugr »

Mr. Bill, I'm in need of your guidance.
Pivot pins... I tracked down an old thread where you suggested a common nail can be made into a pivot pin. Do you recommend this over a SS pin? I ask this because I attempted peening a SS pin I cut... after varying hammer weights and force for over an hour, I pretty much got no where. No recognizable shape was forming. Before true frustration set in, I stopped.
How important is the material choice (SS vs "carbon") for the pivot?
Thanks again.
-Clark
Looking for those un-repairable, lost cause stilettos.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Pivot pins... choices...

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Stainless just doesn't peen well. Common nails-sized exactly to the pivot hole work exceptionally well.
Brass and nickel silver work well, also. It depends on whether you're doing a repair, or a custom knife.
If a repair-use the same material as the original.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
kugr

Post by kugr »

I have a good selection of various sized brass, SS, and NS... I'll pick up some nails also.
Yes this is for a repair, it is for an old Kerper (under it, made italy) on opposite side, made italy.
I gingerly took it apart for a good scrubbing, even taken apart with the pivot still intact, the blade was, well, grindy. So felt further dismantling was needed. On either side of the pivot hole on the blade, it was full of gunk. The wd40 bath didn't clean it out.
I'm honestly not sure what the original pivot material is, it was fairly easy to file down, so that leads me to believe it isn't stainless. It's obviously not brass either. So my conclusion leads me to think its a carbon pin. Would this be the correct conclusion?
portlandmike

Post by portlandmike »

I’m always learning something from reading your questions kugr... please keep them coming

Mike
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Yes. It was low carbon steel-the most common pivot material for Italian stilettos.
Occasionally, you see brass.
If you don't have a lathe, you can use a drill press or a hand drill with a file to turn pin stock to the proper diameter.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
kugr

Post by kugr »

Again Mr. Bill, thank you! It is awesome that you take the time to help me/us newbies learn the trade.