Welp... it all went down hill... scale reattachment/pin peening

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
kugr

Welp... it all went down hill... scale reattachment/pin peening

Post by kugr »

So, after hours of sanding the flaking parts and bubbled areas around the pins, desperately trying my hardest to save the original scales. I thought I was ready to attach the scale back to the liner... I picked out the correct size brass stock, cut it. Placed it on my little doming die, using a little 1 oz hammer, started on the inside of the scale, getting it flat, then moving on to the outside... well, I guess I had it to long, bent it. Started the removal, filed down the "dome" (wasn't even close), went to the inside, filed (should have drilled it with my little manual drill), thought I had enough material removed... drove the stupid crooked pin out gingerly... and wouldn't you know it... this happened.
I now get to make a new set...
Mr. Bill, do you start the repinning process by doing the inside of the liner first, then moving to the outside? Before I attempt and ruin another scale, I thought I should ask first... I'm all for trial and error, but horn is to expensive for my normal process...
Looking for those un-repairable, lost cause stilettos.
thom

Re: Welp... it all went down hill... scale reattachment/pin peening

Post by thom »

Bummer
portlandmike

Post by portlandmike »

Damn... sorry man
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Customer: My engine's making a terrible noise.
Mechanic looks, listens and gets a big hammer and whacks the engine hard. Noise stops.
Mechanic: That'll be $300.
Customer: $300! All you did was hit it with a hammer!
Mechanic: I'm not charging you for labor, just for knowing WHERE to hit it!

I usually start on the inside. Leave just a little more than 1/2 the diameter of the pin exposed. Don't tap so hard you bend the pin-you are just trying to upset the head.
I'll send you my bill.......
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
kugr

Post by kugr »

Hahaha, it's obvious I'm heavy handed with an itty bitty hammer... I shall attempt this again, but not on this one... found some pretty decent horn, at a violin shop oddly. By the time that gets here, I should be better. Thank you again Mr. Bill.
Looking for those un-repairable, lost cause stilettos.