Rams horn mod DONE/PICS

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
thom

Rams horn mod DONE/PICS

Post by thom »

Bill, I have a 13" AGA Ram's horn. It feels like a block of wood in my hands, squared edges. I am going to have it rounded. What can I expect to see under the horn? Attached is a picture of one that has been completely smoothed. Can I expect something like that. My plan was to round the edges and leave the center having the Ram ridges, but if there are colors like that under???? Attached is another picture of a Stag, which is what I am considering. Anyone else with an input would be appreciated.
Thanks for your insight,
Thom
This is the completely polished Ram's Horn:

This is the rounded Stag:
Last edited by thom on Mon May 14, 2018 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Rams horn mod

Post by Bill DeShivs »

You won't see much, other than amber color with ram's horn- just like the sides.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Thom, just my 2 cents, but I went through quite a search to find a piece in Rams Horn as it doesn't seem to be a very common scale material (these days). I was/am thrilled to have it. Though, I do agree it's "boxy", and if your 13" AGA has the "wasp body" like ILS's (pictured), I can't quite envision the boxy design on that body style. Naturally, It's yours to do as you wish, but I would consider the lack of availability of the material first. The top pic looks great, but looks similar to Brazilian Horn (IMO). As you know, once you change it, there's no going back. I'd like to see a picture of yours (if possible). Maybe someone has the same to trade in a different scale material(?).

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The top picture is cow horn. Ram's horn usually does not have much coloration.
It also shrinks badly, and cracks.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
thom

Post by thom »

Bill, Do you think it will damage the integrity of the rams horn? I really do not like the edges. And thank you and Jules for your response.
Thom
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Probably not.
thom

Post by thom »

Thanks Bill, I'm going for it.
Thom
DonC

Post by DonC »

Hard to say what the ram's horn will look like once it's rounded. There may be good looking color variations underneath or it could be quite plain.
I've got a George Cameron he did in rounded down Dahl Sheep horn that looks very nice but you won't know until it's been rounded.
DonC
Attachments
GC Dahl Sheep 800.jpg
GC Dahl Sheep 800.jpg (708.99 KiB) Viewed 5939 times
thom

Post by thom »

DonC thanks for your input. We will see??? Will post pics when I get it back.
Thom
john

Post by john »

It is obvious that the RAM scales are squared off in order to maximize the rich color and texture. It’s the nature of the beast. I can understand your dislike of those hard square edges. You could soften the edge and leave some of the bark or you could round them off and remove all of the bark. Take a look at the sides of your ram horn when the bark is removed and polished you’ll have what the sides look like on top. It could be translucent could be solid or some off both. If you do remove the bark I’m sure we would all love to see some before and after photos. It’s a tough call, but I’m sure you’ll make the one that’s right for you.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
thom

Re: Rams horn mod DONE

Post by thom »

Just got the modified rams horn back today. I want to thank JimBrown257 for performing a magnificent job. Feels much better in hand and looks great. Here are before and after photos. Sorry Jules.
Thom
After:
john

Post by john »

Hey it looks really good! I’m glad you left some of the bark on the scales. I like the texture and color of ram.
John

sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Looks great!
2024 candidate for president
JulesVane

Re: Rams horn mod DONE/PICS

Post by JulesVane »

Oh Thom, it came out great! What I love, is that it still has the Rams Horn look. (naturally, because it IS). But, the top picture that you called "completely polished Rams Horn" had no characteristics of Rams Horn left to it. I say (the top pic) looks just like Brazilian Horn and I believe Bill is under the same impression. Are we (you) sure the top pic is Rams Horn? That top pic is what had me worried. Anyway, your knife looks great and Jeremy, once again, did a great job!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
john

Re: Rams horn mod DONE/PICS

Post by john »

The top photo could possibly be black ram.
Hubertus Black Ram Big Horn Edition
75627828-0F5B-45A0-B3D4-C5E50A2F81CC.png (659.63 KiB) Viewed 5713 times
9F673C04-C2B5-4886-957C-4DB9D9F9E484.png (608.77 KiB) Viewed 5713 times
John