Who converts all those Buck 110s?

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
JimBrown257

Who converts all those Buck 110s?

Post by JimBrown257 »

Bill,

In another thread, I think it was at the Sharper forums, I saw you mention the person/persons who converted the Buck 110s into autos.

Who does those conversions; are they all being done by the same person? There doesn't seem to be any shortage of them so if it's just one guy, he must be pretty busy. Is he affiliated with the Buck company or do they have any problem with what he's doing?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Who converts all those Buck 110s?

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Cumberland Mountain Machine did a lot of them. I'm sure others did, too.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Buck does not do conversions. It's my understanding they're not real pleased with those who do...

At one time there were several guys doing conversions - Some with oval buttons, some with round buttons, but I can't recall any names...
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

I know Paragon converted some but here's a nasty looking conversion made by AZ knives for Rat worx. Check it out.
http://www.ratworxusa.com/pagDetail.asp ... A-BUCK-110
“The difference between involvement and commitment is like ham and eggs. The chicken is involved; the pig is committed.”
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

Here you go. This is where there converted and they also do repair. They claim that they will upgrade a pooly done conversion as well. It should be worth checking out if you have a broken knife sitting around.
http://www.wirtzwireedm.com/buckknives.html
“The difference between involvement and commitment is like ham and eggs. The chicken is involved; the pig is committed.”
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Wazu, do you know how much that place charges to convert a Buck (if you supply the actual knife)?

I looked for a price, then tried to contact them but if you click on any of the contact links, it tries to install something on my computer.
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

JimBrown257 wrote:Wazu, do you know how much that place charges to convert a Buck (if you supply the actual knife)?

I looked for a price, then tried to contact them but if you click on any of the contact links, it tries to install something on my computer.
Jim,
I don't know their prices. The thing they are trying to install on your computer is an e-mail system run by windows. I think the best thing to do is call them at the number they have there. It looks like they do Paragon's work on the Seki auto as well. I don't have any 110's that need work right now. Maybe one of the guys in this forum have used them or heard of them. Let's see if this thread picks anything up. I have this same knife that's in their add. It has nickle silver bolsters and charcoal wood scales. I bought it from http://www.888knivesrus.com/product/BU1 ... -R-Us.html
It's the smoothest conversion I've ever had, great snap, tight lock up with no wobble. First class all the way.
wazu013
Attachments
Buck 110 NS bolster.jpg
Buck 110 NS bolster.jpg (10.29 KiB) Viewed 9216 times
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

I am a member of the Buck collector's club, and none are made by Buck, and the life time warranty is void on these conversions, and also the aftermarket handle changes....That said, there are may nice conversions out there!
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

Here's a picture of my 110 auto with NS bolsters and charcoal wood scales.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

The thing they are trying to install on your computer is an e-mail system run by windows
...Yeah, I saw that. My only concern with it is that I didn't want it to restart my computer. I hadn't meant to imply that the company was up to any kind of trickery; I hope no one took it that way.

Also, while we're on the subject, I just noticed this at Gun Broker:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =292315703

It's one of the cheaper Buck-style knives that someone has converted.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Here's something else I found recently; I found it on Ebay. It's a (non-auto) Buck 110 with a clear scale. It said it was something the salesman had to show what the inner-workings of the knife looked like (although, I can't imagine anyone couldn't guess what it looked like as it's not too complicated).

I see from these pictures that converting a Buck would be a little more tricky than I had thought. You'd have to put in a new spine (is that called a "backspring"?) to fit a spring in there.

Also, I've always wondered this: why do these types of folders always have that small pole (where a leaf spring would go on an auto)? It looks really out of place (like something broke and they had to replace it with something) and I've seen them fall out before. I imagine they are in there to add some support but why wouldn't they just make the spine a little bigger so it fills that space? It's almost as if they left that space open because some of them were going to have springs and some of them weren't but the folders that have them aren't the kind of knives that have automatic models.
Attachments
Clear Buck 110
Clear Buck 110
Clear Buck 110.jpg (205.09 KiB) Viewed 9190 times
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

...Yeah, I saw that. My only concern with it is that I didn't want it to restart my computer. I hadn't meant to imply that the company was up to any kind of trickery; I hope no one took it that way.
Its just that when a site sends you an email address in a link like that, Windows decides it's time to try and make you install outlook.
If you right click on those links instead you should get an option like "copy address", then you can just open up your email and paste it in the address bar.
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
niceguy2

Post by niceguy2 »

i think some are coil spring fired which would probably entail boring a larger hole around the pivotpin in one side of the bolster and a set hole in the blade and bolster to capture the springpins then a release notch/hole in the blade and a catch/plunger release ? i`ve been hesitant about these as it seems the ammount of material removed would weeken the "solidness " of the 110 as we know it ? but im certainly just speculating/ guessing on this ?
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

i think some are coil spring fired
...That kind of sucks; I realize it is alot easier to make conversions with them but coil springs are like the electric motor of automatic knives. I just assumed they were using leaf springs. It doesn't even seem like a coil would provide enough force to open a Buck.

Are you sure that some Bucks use coils? Can anyone confirm this?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Jimbrown
That's the spring for the lockback.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.