shaping firing spring

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Radeo

shaping firing spring

Post by Radeo »

A customer of mine has asked me to build a switchblade stiletto. this is my first venture in a leafspring fire mech. I found some leaf spring material that is .070 thick on knifekits.com, and was curious on how to shape it. The description says that it is hardened to 40-45hrc. the knife is going to be a humpback with bolster release, damascus blade and furniture, brass liners, and ivory scales with brass pins
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: shaping firing spring

Post by Bill DeShivs »

If the material is carbon steel, it should be shaped while annealed-then hardened and tempered.
There is a stainless spring steel that you can just bend into shape.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
autoknife

Post by autoknife »

Radeo wrote:A customer of mine has asked me to build a switchblade stiletto. this is my first venture in a leafspring fire mech. I found some leaf spring material that is .070 thick on knifekits.com, and was curious on how to shape it. The description says that it is hardened to 40-45hrc. the knife is going to be a humpback with bolster release, damascus blade and furniture, brass liners, and ivory scales with brass pins
This may be a little off subject, but what is the purpose of the humpback if you are making it a bolster release. The hump on the Italian made knives is to release the blade from the open position.
No, I'm not happy to see you, that's my 12cm "Red Rose" in my pocket!
Radeo

Post by Radeo »

The reason for the humpback with bolster release goes along with the unstated fact that it will also have a nail-nick. Its purely ascetics. For some reason, he also wants the lock bar and spring to be polished instead of etched damascus. As far as the spring is concerned, the description says carbon stainless steel recommended by the top custom knifemakers
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Post by tr4252 »

Isn't .070 a little thin? Sounds like it will be a nice looking knife.

Tom
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
Radeo

Post by Radeo »

I dont know,thats why I'm here. The blade itself is only going to be .100" thick, .6" wide, and 3.75" long. its a smaller knife as far as stilettos go. It thats not adequate, maybe Bill or someone will guide me in the proper direction. I have heard that work hardened springs don't last, so I was planning on staying away from those, but I'm not opposed to them if they are good.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I use 1095 steel, the same thickness as the blade & backspring.
The spring should be gently tapered toward the front. I suggest looking at a variety of pictures of knife springs before continuing.
There are nuances that are difficult to convey in print. We will be happy to help in any way we can.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
tedmen

Post by tedmen »

Hi Bill, is there any particular reason you choose to use 1095 for springs? I ask as I have read mention of 416 S/S and other steels being used for springs. Would of thought there would be one steel considered 'the best' for spring work? :?

Cheers, Ted.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I consider 1095 the best. Easy to heat treat (for me), inexpensive, available, and easy to work.
john

Post by john »

Hello Radeo,
Sounds like a cool project. Good luck and post a photo when it's done. On second thought would you consider posting photo's as your project progresses showing us step by step progress?
John
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
Radeo

Post by Radeo »

i deffinately will post a WIP
john

Post by john »

Hello Radeo,
Awesome :!: , I love seeing a knife come to life :D .
Thank you,
John
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed