Tools

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Cryptomecanic

Tools

Post by Cryptomecanic »

Bill, could you tell us what all tool's and bit's etc
you used to create the LeverLetto prototype,
Thanks
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Tools

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Just standard shop stuff.
The original proto had the fulcrum silver soldered to the bolster. Proto #2 had the bent bolster. I bent it in a bench vise and flattened it with a hammer.
2 X 72 grinders, buffers, bandsaw, Dremel & flexible shaft machine, hand tools, buffers.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Cryptomecanic

Post by Cryptomecanic »

Thanks Bill' I like making Primitive Bowie's but I havent tryed making any folder's from scratch,
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The Leverletto was not designed from scratch. It was designed using as many existing components as possible. Even the original prototype used a factory blade, backspring, and liners. It was more of a "concept knife".
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Cryptomecanic

Post by Cryptomecanic »

:idea: I was trying to picture in my mind all the step's that went into making the the leverletto,
grinding the blade,drilling and fileing the catch in the blade, making the lever and spring's and trying to get everything lined up :D
I hadent even thought about using the Frankenstein approach in the development of the LeverLetto
Thanks Bill
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I'm a lazy opportunist!
mr_edge

Post by mr_edge »

Bill DeShivs wrote:The original proto had the fulcrum silver soldered to the bolster.
Any pics of that one Bill?
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

On some forum ? Several years ago I posted "I'd like to see a LL that looked like a Stiletto. Within a day or so Bill posted a pic :!: Either He's VERY fast or It was already "in the works" and I read his mind :lol:
I've always wondered :?: :wink:
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I'm nowhere near that fast!
I'll try to post pictures of the original prototype soon.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Here is the original.
Attachments
leverletto1.jpg
leverletto1.jpg (28.5 KiB) Viewed 6204 times
Vanagas

Post by Vanagas »

Very nice Bill.
Mike
mr_edge

Post by mr_edge »

Thanks Bill. I was unaware you did one this way. I appreciate the pic!
Guitars and Blades

Post by Guitars and Blades »

Actually, if you go to Bill's site, you'll see some pretty incredible restorations, customs and LLO prototypes Bill has made, as well as a little Bill DeShivs Bio and history and some incredible engraving.

You are the man, Bill. Do you really look like Elbert Einstein? You're a mysterious character in the world of mysterious knives.

How about a pic of the real Bill (not a grammer school pic like J.A. C. posted)?
Steel strings and steel springs...what could be better?
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Post by tr4252 »

Asking Bill what tools he uses is like asking Hendrix what he used on All Along the Watchtower; "Oh, just a beat up old Strat...."

Tom
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
partsproduction

Post by partsproduction »

I can feel it coming on like a disease! I want to work on switchblades. On one internet site I saw some kind of jig that held the knife for installing pins, but can't find it again, if I saw a photo I could make one up. A jig with many sizes of convex ended punches hardened to about 50 RC in different sizes would be nice, but maybe I'm getting too involved in the tooling end? I notice some production knives have flat riveted pins that look like they were just smacked with a hammer, others have nice rounded end well formed. I'd like to be able to do that. Thanks if anyone knows of a jig like that or has a photo. I'd rather buy than make, as time is money.