Bargeon 860

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
OleRod

Re: Bargeon 860

Post by OleRod »

WEll....... Leave it to me to never avoid a chance to show my dumbness!!!!! :oops:

BUT BILL, ....are you still talking about the banana blade adjustment (filing the bottom of the tang) when you talk about very little leeway adjustment for the large Bargeon? Maybe you are talking about a separate adjustment issue just for the lockback?

I am thoroughly confused.

As I just received my large Bargeon with banana blade and would like to correct it, it is really important I understand things.

I continue to rely on your patience and good humor!! :D

Olerod
OleRod

Post by OleRod »

The 860 is working great ... fires strong (nice button pressure needed), locks up tight .... very little if any "banana" as I carefully worked the tang bottom with a needle file.

The 864 fires strong (more button pressure than I would like, but acceptable), locks up tight ...........has some "banana". Depressing the lockback lever can be a challenge. Sometimes it seems ok .... sometimes it needs more pressure than acceptable. The lever in either case needs to be only slightly depressed (I expected more) to release the blade.

Comments????????????

Olerod
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I'm talking about banana blade adjustment.
You should be filing the tang, where the backspring stops the blade's movement.
The lockback Bargeons much more critical in this area. Filing the tang a very small amount may help or it may not.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
OleRod

Post by OleRod »

Thanks Bill.

I think I am going to leave well enough alone!! :D

Olerod
OleRod

Post by OleRod »

Well I just could not keep my hands off the 864. :roll:

I gently filed the bottom of the tang giving it a light polish.

I then flooded the knife with Break Free (cpl) and let it sit over night! AMAZING results!!! Nice, but still very firm firing and the lock back lever could not be better. I am very pleased. :D

I did not see any residue coming out when I wiped the Break Free off. Surely it had to clean, loosen or lube something!!

I do notice there is some sort of a hardened black substance (glue?) around the top bolster and spoted on the tang. Surely the french did not use glue?

Am I seeing things Bill????

Olerod
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Post a picture, please.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
OleRod

Post by OleRod »

Bill, I am trying to get a decent picture but not having much luck. Bear with me.

Olerod
OleRod

Post by OleRod »

Bill, please disregard my question.

Many thanks,

Olerod
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

OleRod wrote:The mailman just dropped off the 860. I am more than pleased. Even the safety is nice and tight, but that will free up more over time. I think it might have a touch of the "banana" blade.

WElllllll .... i ordered the Bargeon 864 this morning. The pic looks pretty beefy with a 9 1/2 inch overall length. It has the cheesy plastic handle that Bill talked about. Seems sort of a shame. :( However, perhaps the handle could be replaced with a nice stag or bone? Bill, what do you think??? :D Would it be worthwhile doing?

Olerod
The 864 is very close to my idea of a 10" heavyduty [ the Frenh repied to my asking for scales options] by sending me a catalog listing other knives :roll:
novice

Post by novice »

OleRod wrote:
I do notice there is some sort of a hardened black substance (glue?) around the top bolster and spoted on the tang. Surely the french did not use glue?
I believe that is plastic flash from the molding process not glue.