Leverletto questions

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
ChadEntwistle

Leverletto questions

Post by ChadEntwistle »

Hi guys, i am starting a leverletto kit, I have a couple of questions.
Scales, Is it tough to hide the long part of the sear assembly? And what thickness do I need the scales to be? I am trying to get some ordered and like the look of the knives without seeing the sear in the middle of the handel
Also do you use washers between the liners and blade?
Any must know tips for a first time leverletto builder?
Thanks a bunch guys!
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Leverletto questions

Post by Bill DeShivs »

That would be the lever spring, not the sear.
While not impossible it is difficult to cover the spring, and have the scale low enough that it doesn't interfere with operation of the lever. Even if a balance is reached, often the scale is so thin near the lever that it cracks. I have seen people partially cover the spring, but that looks amateurish to me.
There is no need for washers on the blade.
If you leave the lever spring exposed, 1/8" scale material works well.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
ChadEntwistle

Re: Leverletto questions

Post by ChadEntwistle »

Thanks Bill I will just have to deal with the spring exposed. I see what you mean about the scale getting too thin.
Thanks for your input.
Chad Entwistle