Problem with Rizzuto!

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Switch King

Problem with Rizzuto!

Post by Switch King »

Hi Bill,
I own a 11inch Rizzuto with Black Horn.
The problem is that if I want to fold the blade back on, it does not stay closed. It will only be closed if I hold the blade in the handle and then move the backup to the top.
What can I do to keep the blade without insurance?
I hope you can help me.

PS: Sorry for my bad English. :oops: :oops:
I have a lot to learn. But how do you say?
Practice makes perfect.
Greetings from Europe
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Problem with Rizzuto!

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The sear in most Rizzutos is made of zinc. Zinc is very soft, and wears quickly.
The only thing that can be done is to replace the sear, and this is not feasible on a cheap knife.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Bill DeShivs wrote:The sear in most Rizzutos is made of zinc. Zinc is very soft, and wears quickly.
The only thing that can be done is to replace the sear, and this is not feasible on a cheap knife.
Thank you for calling it the way it is :wink:
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

Switch King wrote:Hi Bill,
I own a 11inch Rizzuto with Black Horn.
Are you sure you don't mean black plastic? Rizzutos with horn scales are VERY rare. I've only seen one, and it was an Italian lockback. If yours really does have horn scales please post some pics.
Bill DeShivs wrote:The sear in most Rizzutos is made of zinc. Zinc is very soft, and wears quickly.
I hate to argue with the master, but if I recall correctly Wicollector said he used to do it all the time. He did say it was a pain to do though.
Click here for the most recently updated list of movies covered in our "movie switchblades" thread...
http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php ... 08#p216408
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Sure, you can do it, but why? The knives are not worth very much. I have done some that had sentimental value, but unless you can do it yourself the work costs more than the knife is worth.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

Bill DeShivs wrote:Sure, you can do it, but why? The knives are not worth very much. I have done some that had sentimental value, but unless you can do it yourself the work costs more than the knife is worth.
I assume you are just referring to the more common of the Japanese variations that usually go for around $75-125 depending. Surely the more rare variations like the Italian ones and step-bolsters are worth throwing a few bucks at to get fixed, don't you think?
Click here for the most recently updated list of movies covered in our "movie switchblades" thread...
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

Well, they are worth something to some collectors because I recently sold an 11-inch Rizz for more than $400 and I only had $110 in it.
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

Panzerfaust wrote:Well, they are worth something to some collectors because I recently sold an 11-inch Rizz for more than $400 and I only had $110 in it.
Last one I sold went for $385, but admittedly is was a more rare variation. I'm still in shock from when that step-bolster Rizzuto went for a grand. :shock: I've seen them sell for quite a bit before, but that was pretty amazing.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

BT-
Yes, I'm speaking of the Japanese variations. I sold one for quite a bit of money, too-but that doesn't mean they are generally worth much.
The Italian variations are pretty good knives.
Switch King

Post by Switch King »

Hi Bill,
Thank you for your answer.
I noticed when I hit the front bolster together, blade is closed. . Maybe the hole for the opening button in the horn is not large enough? I'm going to remove the horn, then I can see if it's too small.

BTB0923, yes it is black horn (buffalo?). In addition, it is a step Bolster Rizzuto. But I do not know if it has been made​​, or whether it was subsequently rebuilt.
I currently see no way to clean a picture. But it will still make pure. Either here or at Blade pictures.

Switch King :) :)
Greetings from Europe
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Does someone have a picture or link to a "step-bolster" Rizzy?