Pork bbq all around...

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Dick Carroll

Pork bbq all around...

Post by Dick Carroll »

this was sent to me in an e-mail and this was right down the road from here...

Think we're worried about just gators in Florida?

The fellow in the pictures is Larry Earley. He lives about 30 miles from Orlando, in the very rural community of Okahumpka, just off the Florida turnpike in Lake County, Florida. He has 20 acres of land and on it, a few cows and horses. Mostly it's pasture land that is fenced with woods surrounding him.

He is neighbored by a larger cattle ranch. His neighbor has complained for several years that wild hogs had been raiding his cattle feeders and salt licks.

Last month he saw what he thought was a cow in his pond and went to see if it was stuck in the mud and would have to be pulled out. When he got close enough to realize it was a hog, the thing made a charge at him. He had driven his truck down to the pond and carries a pistol in it (as any Florida redneck would, and I say that with genuine affection). He got his handgun and when it came at him again, he shot it twice and killed it.

Wild hogs in Florida usually run from 100-400 pounds with a 400 pounder being a monster. Because this one had been feasting on grain for several years it had grown to mammoth size.

When Larry took it to the processor it weighed in at over 1100 pounds! The meat has no wild taste, as it was grain fed; and Larry is quite the hero. He has fed many fireman and provided the homeless shelter in downtown Orlando with a couple of meals.
All who enter here bring happiness, some by staying, some by leaving...
Trey45

Post by Trey45 »

Amazing hog! That thing is bigger than any wild hog I've seen , bar none! I can't tell by the picture too well, but it looks like to me Mr. Earley used a Smith & Wesson 500 magnum., for a hog that size, I wouldn't want to tango with it with anything less than a .44 magnum!
Give us this day our daily lead.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Re: Pork bbq all around...

Post by Vagrant »

Dick Carroll wrote: Think we're worried about just gators in Florida?
That HOG may have been eating Gators :idea: :!:
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

WOW!
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

That's one HUMONGOUS porker! :shock:
If Mr. Tequiza sees it, he will be headed to Florida for sure... :P
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
horizonod

Post by horizonod »

That thing could give the county fair hogs a run. I bet the local ranchers are happy as, pardon me, hogs in slop! :lol: :lol: Most of the wild hogs I saw were mostly black. Was this one an "escapee" from a hog farm? To get that big it takes more than free feed. I suspect some superior genetics might have helped.
“Truth will always be truth, regardless of lack of understanding, disbelief or ignorance.”

HORIZON BLADEWORKS: http://www.nicnac.net . LOW KEY perveyor of HIGH TECH cutlery.
missaman

Post by missaman »

I think If I saw that thing comming towards me I would just PISS myself and scream :wink: A .44 MAG seems to be the right tool :idea:
Much more intimidating than a hoodling.... :shock: and they shoot back :idea:
Missa
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The gun shown is one of two possible options.
A S&W .500 Magnum or [the new] S&W .460 Magnum :idea:
The .500 = 400 grains at 1675 fps :!:
The .460 = 200 grains at 2300 fps :!:
Both make the .44 mag. look like a "backyard plinker" :wink:
I believe Corbon is working on a .500 special to use in the magnum when you don't need so much power.
In the .460 you can use .454s or .45 Colts for "plinking" :wink:
The .500 is ideal for short range dangerous game :idea: [think Grizzly]
The .460 is for long range [up to 200+/- yds] large game :idea: [think Deer/Elk/Big Horn Sheep etc.]
Dick Carroll

Post by Dick Carroll »

We don't generally have any pure Russian boar here tho what we call a piney woods rooter is usually black, high in the front, low in the rear, armor plated chest....most of the wild hogs are really feral hogs, crossbreeds of both and they come in all colors. The ones horning in on ranchers feed do get big.....otherwise their forage is poor....most ranchers hate them for the damage they can do to a pasture. When a bunch gets together to dine, they can turn the ground over so bad, it looks like ya took a tractor and disc to it. Even a small juvenile with tusks just barely clearing the gums can cut catch dogs to ribbons. The ones that have real tusks could be likened to a small bulldozer with 2 stilettos strapped to the grill...and a nasty attitude
Cryptomecanic

Post by Cryptomecanic »

looks like another one of them there Hog, Zilla's !
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

One other possible caliber - .454 Casull :idea:
If it is the gun is a Taurus [most likely] or a Ruger [less likely] :wink:
You can tell reporters ain't "gun people", it never occured to them to include any info about the Handgun :( If some equally uninterested citizen attempts that stunt with a .38 special - HE will be added to the hogs menu :lol:
Dick Carroll

Post by Dick Carroll »

naw Al, fair chase for hogs around here is a dog on each ear and a knife thru the throat....just a wild and wooly thing....I have killed a few, but only one with a gun and that was only due to the yahoo that shot him first, misplaced the shot and I dispatched him with a Ruger in 357 just to put him out quickly. There are lots of bulldogs for hogs here, but believe it or not the most effective catch dogs I have ever seen were Kerrs. But that's just my opinion. Guns are kinda cheatin in a more personal moment. It's a partnership. Any dog that will rush something like that, catch it and slow it down enuff for the knife to be used has my deepest respect.
Dick
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

My Samoyed would have taken one look at THAT hog and stepped behind me, with a "he's all yours" look on his face :lol: My Shepherd-Husky would have taken the attitude "Stay out of it, THIS one is ALL mine" :shock: Guess which one was smarter :?: IF the Samoyed saw TWO of those, he'd try to "head 'em up and move 'em out" :wink: He wasn't a fighter unless he HAD to, but TWO of anything was a herd that HAD to be moved somewhere :lol:
Dick Carroll

Post by Dick Carroll »

I would imagine regardless of what went on to get him, it would probably have been a two day deal....one way or the other
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

Mr. Carroll,

It seems as if gutting and bleeding out the swine was not on the immediate list of things to do for ol' Larry. In Florida, time is of the essence with that sort of thing. A nice clean kill regardless. Domesticated swine will turn wild if given the chance. It is also my understanding they keep growing if given the run of the trough. The cattle rancher should have given ol' Larry a few full size tenderloins for the fine effort.

Best regards,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson