Do Boy Scouts still shoot?

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
missaman

Do Boy Scouts still shoot?

Post by missaman »

Aside from hunting with my dad I also shot .22 in the Boy Scouts.
Has this practice Been banned by the anti gun nuts or insurance co.'s
I'm taking my eldest daughter "the fish bearer" shooting saturday.
I was glad to hear they only "allow" kids aged 9 and up 8) at the range.
Missaman
drake687

Post by drake687 »

Nope they havent done away with shooting yet, I know some kids who got their badges just recently. If I remember right the regulation is shooting 5(?) rounds with the holes in the target being close enough together to cover with a quarter :shock:
missaman

Post by missaman »

Thanks,
I hate the "yet" part :twisted:
Missaman :)
Stone Knife

Post by Stone Knife »

All it'll take is somebody that WAS a scout once, going nuts, and, bingo, here comes that freaking Brady Be-otch.
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

Yes, the obvious cause of many mental health problems these days can be directly related to the use of a gun (Lawsuits to follow) :roll:
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Stone,

Sad but true!

Thinking back, my Marksmanship Merit Badge meant more to me than any of the others. In fact, I can hardly remember any of the others, but I clearly remember Marksmanship.

Jim
floater

Post by floater »

Stone Knife wrote:All it'll take is somebody that WAS a scout once, going nuts, and, bingo, here comes that freaking Brady Be-otch.
Let's just hope she doesn't remember Austin's own li'l ol' Eagle Scout, Charles Whitman. Shooting from a tower building on the University of Texas campus back in 1966, he killed 14 and wounded many more. He was up there for more than 1 1/2 hours before police shot him.

floater
PS - Kinky Friedman and the Texas Jewboys did a great song about Charlie (The Ballad of Charles Whitman)...... "There was a rumor.... about a tumor.... nestled at the base of his brain."
It's all here before your eyes / Safety is a big disguise ....
That hides among the other lies / They divide and conquer.
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

Full Metal Jacket-
Whitman and Oswald were Marines. Pretty soon they will blame them for any shootings :evil:
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

floater wrote:
Stone Knife wrote:All it'll take is somebody that WAS a scout once, going nuts, and, bingo, here comes that freaking Brady Be-otch.
Let's just hope she doesn't remember Austin's own li'l ol' Eagle Scout, Charles Whitman. Shooting from a tower building on the University of Texas campus back in 1966, he killed 14 and wounded many more. He was up there for more than 1 1/2 hours before police shot him.

floater
PS - Kinky Friedman and the Texas Jewboys did a great song about Charlie (The Ballad of Charles Whitman)...... "There was a rumor.... about a tumor.... nestled at the base of his brain."
Whitman did not kill anyone after effective return fire started. A teacher had brought his rifle to school to work on and kept Charlie pinned down 'till the cops arrived :!: The teacher was also one of the ones who stormed the tower :shock: At the top he was shot at by Whitman, he shot back and Whitman ran the other way, directly into the waiting Police who shot him dead 8) Imagine the Police today letting a civilian go along on an assault of a derainged killer. It wouldn't happen :!:
Greyblade

Post by Greyblade »

Vagrant wrote:
floater wrote:

floater
Whitman did not kill anyone after effective return fire started. A teacher had brought his rifle to school to work on and kept Charlie pinned down 'till the cops arrived :!: The teacher was also one of the ones who stormed the tower :shock: At the top he was shot at by Whitman, he shot back and Whitman ran the other way, directly into the waiting Police who shot him dead 8) Imagine the Police today letting a civilian go along on an assault of a derainged killer. It wouldn't happen :!:
The moral: Don't mess with Texas!

Greyblade
missaman

Post by missaman »

Well the kid did quite well today open breach when not in use. took to it quite well and we both had a great time
Winchester mod-06-
marlin 70-p
Some old J.C. Higgins that my grandmother had.
She asked how soon we could go again 8)
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

missaman,

Today may be a day that you remember for a long, long, time.

Jim
missaman

Post by missaman »

Jim,
you are quite correct. I hope she does too 8)
Missaman
The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

My Dad taught me how to shoot my Winchester. :D
In the Boy Scouts I learned how to smoke Marlboros. :?
I collect springblades but I carry my "thumbers."
floater

Post by floater »

The Falcon wrote:My Dad taught me how to shoot my Winchester. :D
In the Boy Scouts I learned how to smoke Marlboros. :?
Same here, Mr. Falcon!! Boy Scouts is also where I first learned to shoot craps & play poker. 8)........ Those damn knots though.... :?
All in all, Scouting played an important role in my developing into the well rounded, fun loving individual I am today. :wink:

floater
It's all here before your eyes / Safety is a big disguise ....
That hides among the other lies / They divide and conquer.