Coyotes

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Billyfish

Coyotes

Post by Billyfish »

I hate Coyotes. :evil:
Did I say I hate Coyotes? Yeah, I did.
It's almost midnight here on the east coast; we have a new puppy 9 months old and it was time to take her out to do her business before bed because she isn't housebroken yet. It's cold here by the shore and I'm walking the dog around the house trying to get her to take a dump. We'd been outside for 15 minutes or so and she hasn't dropped a load yet. Our place is pretty remote and surrounded by a couple hundred acres of woods. The howling starts from somewhere in those woods; just one of them; it's a long-drawn-out howl. I can feel the hairs on the back of my neck start to stand on end.
Now our Coyotes aren't little pipsqueaks like you see in the Western movies; these bastards are big, run about 70 pounds and are absolutely fearless.
My town has grown in population since covid; city folks who had summer properties here decided to get out of their suburbs and spend the time here away from the crowded towns around Boston, NYC etc.
These new folks think it's cute to feed the bastards on the regular, now the coyotes have no fear of humans and if you've got a dog on a leash they will stalk and attack it and you if you try to defend your dog. We used to have Coyote hunts every winter with a prize going to the person who brought in the most pelts. Not anymore, the lefty tree huggers raised such a stink about it that the yearly hunt has been canceled for a few years now.
These days when I walk the dog I have to carry a pistol.
It sucks to have to do that even in daytime.
I hate Coyotes.

end rant.....
Killgar

Re: Coyotes

Post by Killgar »

I can't stand people who feed wild predators. They think of them as pets, or their "babies". People can be so unbelievably stupid.

Watch your back. Coyotes often hunt in packs and they know what they're doing. While you're focused on the one you can see in front of you, others might be sneaking up behind you. But I'm guessing you already know this.

Coyotes have also been known to attack people.
Avatar- Ti-Lite Auto Conversion. Video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q79nia-_DzU

My youtube knife channel- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjSYCK ... 3s5HNcsL5A

Stiletto switchblade parts for sale- blades, bolsters, sears, rockers/buttons
Twobit

Post by Twobit »

They're not fearless around my part of the country. I'll hear them yipping through my windows, grab a rifle and flashlight and step out the door - they vanish. If we're outside when they start, I'll let out a howl like a wolf and they'll go silent. We're allowed to hunt them as a nuisance species here. The DNR used to have a $25 bounty on them. I don't know if they still do or not. They've never let me get a clean shot at one.
Billyfish

Post by Billyfish »

Around 20 years ago we had no coyotes on Cape Cod.
Then they figured out what our two bridges over the canal were for.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I was a die hard trapper from about 1988 until about 1997. Yotes were few and far between. I would catch 30 fox to every coyote. Now there are 30 coyotes to every fox or more. They are everywhere now.

I thought about dusting off my old traps last year but the coyote skins aren't worth crap around here. They are big but not great to look at. And they are smart because everybody trys to smoke them when given a chance.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Likewise, here in Central N.C. the coyote invasion started about 20 years ago.

Jim
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I saw the biggest yote I have ever seen last Thursday . Was a passenger and couldn't get a shot.