Buying on Ebay

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Five Dollar Bill

Buying on Ebay

Post by Five Dollar Bill »

I've seen a few mentions of being outbid at the last seconds when bidding on ebay. I sell on ebay, and have for many years, and want to let you all in on a "secret" way to win bids. Let ebay bid for you. Unless the bidding reaches higher than your maximum bid, ebay always gets the last bid. Tell them what the most you are willing to pay. And when ebay bids for you, it just goes up to the next bid. I've won so many things this way.
For instance, if something is selling for $8.50, and you put in a maximum bid of $100.00, ebay's last bid on your behalf is $8.75. Now, as the price increases, so does the individual bids. If something is expensive, and the bidding is $1.00 a bid, ebay will go up $1.00. But, it will never do something like bid your $100.00, if the last bid is $8.50. So, enter the most you're willing to pay, and let the auction proceed. And, if the item is popular, and the bidding brisk, you may have to increase your maximum. So, in that case, watch the action to stay on top.
I never buy anything very valuable or expensive, so I often put in $500.00 as my maximum, and let things go their way. I usually win, and don't pay too much. I also get outbid on things because my maximum bid has a maximum reality. :o :D
Be nice to us old folks. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.
john

Re: Buying on Ebay

Post by john »

I always do as you suggested, obviously for items I really want.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I think most of the guys here know about that, but it's still common to complain when someone beats you...lol
Five Dollar Bill

Post by Five Dollar Bill »

Glad to hear. In my experience, many people don't quite understand the ebay bids for you idea. But, of course, experienced folks here, bidding on high end knives, etc. would know how to do that. I was just trying to be helpful, and contribute to the forum.
Be nice to us old folks. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

You might check out Sharperdeal auctions.
2024 candidate for president
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

I think the common misconception is, if your max bid is $100 and someone else's is $200, at the end of the auction, that person will have won for $101. The thought process is, that you THINK you lost by only $1 and would have gladly paid $102...lol

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)