California & Route 66

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Viking45

California & Route 66

Post by Viking45 »

Ok everyone has heard the story of my first Rizzuto and the trip we took to California in 71 or 72.
Well I knew these pics existed and I have talked about this trip in a hundred threads here on TB.
These pictures were taken with a Kodak Brownie which was way out of date even then.

We had just returned to my aunt and uncle's house (Lynwood,California) after an afternoon in Tijuana.

You can see a slight difference in the two brothers from Compton and the two brothers from the hills of the Ozarks.
We had fresh barber shop cuts...mine looks like the "bowl cut" Dad wasn't havin' his boys going out there lookin' like damn hippies :lol:

The feller that looks like Duane Allman is my cousin Randy and that's his Chevy we are sitting on.He's the one that had the first switchblade I ever saw in person-Mexican Bullfighter.
Flashing my first switchblade (black handled Rizz) My cousin Tommy is digging for his white handled Rizz we had bought him that day.

My brother is on the ground-
Right click on the picture and hit "View Image" it's a better way to see the whole shot.
RDTM01.jpg
RDTM01.jpg (576.71 KiB) Viewed 3805 times
RDTM02.jpg
RDTM02.jpg (525.98 KiB) Viewed 3805 times
The next picture I am holding my ceramic Nazi skull I got in Tijuana and you can bet my Rizzy is in my pocket. Fact is it was in my pocket when we went to Disneyland the next day. Holy crap how times have changed.
Me02.jpg
Me02.jpg (468.69 KiB) Viewed 3805 times

On the trip out there (old Route 66)I'm sitting on a rock in the middle of the desert while dad checks the water in his 1970 Pontiac Executive 400.
Me01.jpg
Me01.jpg (534.79 KiB) Viewed 3805 times
The last pic is for the ladies :lol: I think that might be Huntington Beach.
Me03.jpg
Me03.jpg (498.23 KiB) Viewed 3805 times
gimpochin

Re: California & Route 66

Post by gimpochin »

These WERE the good ol'days! Thanks for sharein.
peter44

Post by peter44 »

Great photos Dave :!: made my day seeing them :!: im still smiling :!: Love the tee shirt :!: and the dreaded basin cut :!: I always wanted one of those watch straps too :!: all the big boys had them :D
Guns for show, knives for a pro!
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Ha haa yeah Peter I had a small kids Timex on that big watch band and I noticed in the picture a glare from from the window so my mum must be inside the car in the air conditioning.
Peter it made me smile to see these old pictures again.
Randy was a master at everything he did,my dad always said he was smartest one on my mother's side of the family.
He was a machinist among machinists. People from all over came to him for his expertise.
He worked for Porsche and Volkswagen and worked on many celebrity cars. He was also a musician and his back room had a piano,several keyboards,guitars,bass,tuba,saxophone,trumpet,drums you name it he played it and in his spare time he wrote jingles for local businesses ads/commercials.

Quick story- Everyone was gone one afternoon and just Tommy and I were in the garage (in the same back yard as the pic was taken) we were pulling out his old CZ dirt bike and for some reason I went in the house for something and looked out the front window to see two Mexican dudes backing up a tow truck to Randy's Chevy parked out front.
I ran out back and yelled to Tommy and he dropped that motorcycle and ran in the house and grabbed a Winchester 30-30 from the closet and bolted out the door.
He walked right up to those two guys in broad daylight,cocked that Winchester and pointed it straight at them and told them to get the hell outta here!
Those guys jumped in their tow truck and made for the hills.
Tommy was only a couple years older than me at the time.

Tommy's next door neighbors were a black couple in their 40's and good friends with my uncle and he was standing in the yard with a shotgun as the two guys drove off.
Ahh the good ole days 8)
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

Great pics, Dave. 8) :D Brings back a lot of memorys. Life was so simple back then.
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
Jason Bourne

Post by Jason Bourne »

Looks very retro. :)

peter44

Post by peter44 »

Love the story about Tommy your cousin with the Winchester ! Defending the property at a young age ! I have felt the same when young and threatened . Thanks for sharing this Dave :!: Brilliant :!:
Guns for show, knives for a pro!
jimbeam

Post by jimbeam »

Wonderful story Dave. You have a nice way with the narrative. I always enjoy your personal musings.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

jimbeam wrote:Wonderful story Dave. You have a nice way with the narrative. I always enjoy your personal musings.
Thank you JB,I appreciate your words,I actually deleted a big part of my story because I didn't feel anyone was that interested.
But after reading your reply it has encouraged me to share some more.
I will be scanning some more pics soon and tell some of the stories behind them.
Haa,I noticed I was squinting in every picture,it's hot in the desert and Southern California 8) Didn't have my Ray-Bans :lol:
peter44 wrote:Love the story about Tommy your cousin with the Winchester ! Defending the property at a young age ! I have felt the same when young and threatened . Thanks for sharing this Dave :!: Brilliant :!:
Yes Sir Pete,in those days Compton/Lynwood still had pink houses and white picket fences with people planting flowers and kids playing.
There are still areas with that but gangs,drugs and violence has silenced much of that.
Peter your words were well worth my effort and JB's reply really hit home. It does the heart good to relive these precious moments of life.

My best to both of you brothers,I appreciate your input.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7QzMH9BOqQ
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

Mr. Viking,

I sure could spot the hicks from the normal guys in those pics. The typical California attire at the time, scraggly hair, high riding boxers, yep, I went through all that. I finally did cut off my pony tail last year. I was tired of living in the 70's! I still have my first Rizzy from 68. Got it at a church rummage sale for a buck!

Best regards,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Bonzo wrote:Mr. Viking,I sure could spot the hicks from the normal guys in those pics.
:lol: