Anyone here with oceangoing experience?

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
heviarti

Anyone here with oceangoing experience?

Post by heviarti »

Just like it reads, has anyone here had any experience with operations on an oceangoing vessel, the B&W marine engines that power it, navigation, sonar operation, support systems maintenance?
I walked a mile in my enemy's shoes.... And then I stole his shoes.
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Re: Anyone here with oceangoing experience?

Post by natcherly »

I worked for American President Lines, Ltd. for almost 15 years. Still do some consulting with them. Never went to sea but am v. familiar with vessel propulsion and related systems. Whadda need to know?

BTW, no sonar on commercial vessels.
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

Mr. HeavyArti,

No, not much experience here except jumping on a charter once in awhile to do some salmon fishing. If the other fishermen are lucky, they might get to see your ol' pal bent over the rail chumming the reef...

Best regards,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
heviarti

Post by heviarti »

Right now I'm going trying to determine what all I might need to salvage a vessel that is adrift 400 miles off the coast of canada. I have some resources to apply to it, but not enough to hire a deep sea tug. Right now I'm working on learning everything I can about marine diesel propulsion systems, in this case two Yugoslavian made B&W diesels. I'm trying to learn everything I can in a hurry, and much of it is simply not available online.

Basically it looks like what's going to have to happen is get to it, and patch one or more powerplants up, and see if it can be gotten under way. This all depends on a series of factors, which I am researching. The first two factors you can't help with, but I have a source for that. I am in contact with a company whose engineer was aboar d for 'quite a while' before it was towed out and lost. From him I intend to learn the two most important factors; specifically what is wrong with propulsion, and whether or not there is any fuel in the bunk.

From there, it's all learning everything I can about all the systems in question to decide whether I think I can do this or not. I've got about four or five guys in on this, welders, ex navy engineers and the like. With that being said, this is eastern block hardware and MOS related training tends to be very specific to the hardware you're working with. Before you advise me that I don't know what I'm getting into, I know that. That's why I'm researching the crap out of this.

So, here are a couple links with specifications on the vessel: http://www.shiplink.info/photo/ss33672.htm http://www.rs-head.spb.ru/app/fleet.php ... nguage=eng http://boatsalemarket.com/1976-custom-e ... se-vessel/

What I have been able to gather is that the two main powerplants are 8 cylinder 1946 hp diesels, which *probably* run on Bunker #5 or #6 (not 100% sure) which should (unless you can correct me) make 1hp/hr/.25lb fuel, averaging out to about a ton every four hours, per plant. If one plant can make it's cruising speed of 17.2 knots means a ton every 80 miles, which (guessing) should be about ten ton of fuel to make Wilmington Delaware, figuring approximately 800 miles from it's current position.

So, at this point there are two primary plants which are in unknown condition, and are of unknown type (the model designation doesn't come up with any useful results) either low or medium RPM, and four auxiliary high RPM units whose exact purpose I am unsure of. Doesn't it make sense the two main plants would be hooked to one of the screws each? The things that really worry me are the two steam plants and the AFGU. One of the other guys claims to have experience on both, but I've never dealt with either. I'm doubting whether those are high pressure plants, rather they may be steam preheaters for fuel.

I'm going to start another post just so I don't lose this one.
heviarti

Post by heviarti »

That post was practically a book, but look out, here comes another.

So I have a make on it's position as of seven days ago, and I can track the source of that data back to the originator, and probably get an updated position. As of 7 days ago she was at 49-22.70N and 044-51.34W.

As near as I can tell if there is fuel in the bunks, and if the situation in the engineering bay is salvageable, I'll need to insert with the people described, a small genset, a welder + fuel for both, 4 drums water minimum, rations, a small quantity of fishing implements, ammo cans (for the food), torch, tools with maritime specialty tools (unknown type), string of lights, flashlights + batteries, cold weather gear, a bunch of copper wire, bacon grease, cyanide, and some kind of armament.

I'm also curious whether shipboard electrics of this type tend to be AC or DC. Also, for large marine diesels they surely don't use an electric starter and batteries; do they start those with compressed air or what?

At this point what I do know for sure is that a 'foreign repair crew' was called in to do some work on the main engines and 'got drunk and made a mess'. I'll know more once I speak to the engineer I mentioned.
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Well you've done a lot of work. I give great credit for that.

However, in my book there are simply too many unknowns and too many risks, especially for someone who is not a professional marine salvor. You would be in the middle of the ocean, and if you need parts or material you didn't bring, O'Reilly's is a long way away. And then there are the legal aspects. Who owns the ship? Who is first in line for an admiralty award? It may not be you!

The pictures of this ship look pretty good, etc. but one has to wonder why when the tow was lost no effort was made to reattach a line to this 37 year old vessel. HMMMM

This would not be my choice for a first effort at salvage on the high seas.
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

natcherly wrote:This would not be my choice for a first effort at salvage on the high seas.
Mr. Natcherly,

I agree, a practice round is in order. If Mr. HeavyArti is willing to vacate the ever expanding metropolis of Letha Idaho, I suggest he make a trip to my compound here on the sacred slopes and round up all my empty Coors cans that keep blowing around the property. I had them all bagged up for the Girl Scouts to come pick up, but some hungry bear came along and decided to rip all the bags open. The Girl Scout leader refuses to pick them up, and well, my back is'nt what it used to be. I'll split the profits 20/80.

Mr. HeavyArti,

Better hurry, cause I'm sure some camel fighter from Fresno is making plans to grab'em for an MB investment.

Best regards,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
gimpochin

Post by gimpochin »

From my time as a "boatswains mate"aboard two ships (DD,DER)i can tell you that any seagoing vessel requires CONSTANT UPKEEP, deep pockets. But it sounds like fun, wish you good luck. :D :D :D :D
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Here is an update on this new age Flying Dutchman....

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/03/13 ... -atlantic/

Mr. heviarti, have you updated your intentions?
Chrisadamley

Post by Chrisadamley »

natcherly wrote:Here is an update on this new age Flying Dutchman....

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/03/13 ... -atlantic/

Mr. heviarti, have you updated your intentions?
Is that the same boat Hev is planning on getting?

Something like this, there are reasons it already hasn't been gotten. I wouldn't be surprised if people with expertise in the area attempted and like the article says gave up. Rough seas can be crazy when its out in the middle of the ocean, if you don't know what your doing could be very very dangerous.
heviarti

Post by heviarti »

From what I heard neither tug that dallied off to it was adequate.

I've got some feelers out trying to determine what was going on with it mechanically that precluded it from going under it's own power. That's the information this whole deal hinges on.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Remember it was made by the same folk that brought us the "Yugo" :lol:
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

heviarti wrote:I've got some feelers out trying to determine what was going on with it mechanically that precluded it from going under it's own power. That's the information this whole deal hinges on.
Answer is that after two years sitting idle, the cost to get the main engines running reliably was greater than the cost to tow, not to mention the manning and safety requirements if a ship is under its own power. Also as the ship was headed to the breakers, why dump a bunch of money getting various systems working? Further, a ship to be scrapped most likely has the fuel and lube oil removed before going on its final journey. Lastly, lots of high value stuff has not doubt already been stripped out, things like navigation equipment, bronze fittings, and other goodies needed to make the ship function and go in the right direction. This is not rocket science but does require a think-through.
heviarti

Post by heviarti »

Neither you nor I can say for sure exactly what is or isn't there. There's two groups that can answer the question. I'm on it. If I can manage a rudder and propulsion, that's about half the battle.
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

heviarti wrote:Neither you nor I can say for sure exactly what is or isn't there. There's two groups that can answer the question. I'm on it. If I can manage a rudder and propulsion, that's about half the battle.
I wish you well. However, looking at the identified risks involved, including this new one that involves placing reliance on second hand and / or out of date information, there is a surfeit of Magic Thinking going on here.