Stilettos and guitars

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Post by tr4252 »

What's the best amp or guitar?
Just as water seeks its own level, so does talent. If the kid ends up with Fender, Vox, Marshall, Gibson, Epiphone, the deciding factor is what he does with it. And his "peers" will have their opinions. None of this matters.
The best guitar player I ever knew, Dave Pasternack, once said to me "the sound is in your mind and in your hands". He was one of those rare people with actual talent who could sound good playing almost anything. Sure, there are some minimum standards, but the thing is, without the commitment and hard work, no equipment will make much difference. Let's not forget a guitar is just a bunch of wood with some strings on it. I started with a Fender Duo-Sonic, so did Hendrix. He had immense talent, I had somewhat less. A better guitar wouldn't have made me a better player than him.
However, if you want the perfect rig, a Blackface Fender Bassman, coupled to a Bandmaster Speaker cab with Altec Lansings, A Gretsch Tennesean and a Fender Duo-Sonic (hot rodded and in all its Kelly Green metalflake glory) might do for a while.
TR
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
mypetelvis

Post by mypetelvis »

Wally J. Corpse wrote:Greetings Mr. Mypetelvis-

I also have a lil' old Fender Champ for quiet usage. The Crate has all the tube head charm with lots more options for fun within. If you don't want effects, you simply switch 'em off. Your blanket diagnosis of Crate as 'suck' indicates that you probably haven't had one to play with for enough length of time to recognize it's virtues, or it's just your opinion, Everyone's got one of those, opinion.

AS ever,

Dis-integrating your Fender with my Crate-

Wally J. Corpse

Wally,

I guess I've never liked the tone I get with the Crate amps I've tried. (Worked at Guitar Center for year, had alot of time to test drive). Just my opinion. I like having effects to play with (among other things :wink: ), just didn't want Jim to get the impression that the bells and whistles is what makes a good amp. Something with good tone that fits your budget is what I think is best for a beginner.

M.P.E.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Thanks for all the input. Due to the generosity of a friend, the kid will be receiving a Fender 212R amp. More than he needs, but a great deal thanks to my friend. You guitarists would love my friends music room, fine guitars and amps stacked so thick that you can't see the walls and there is hardly room to walk. And, the room is about 15ft. x 20ft.!

Jim