The fall of an American Icon

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
turbo_dog

Re: The fall of an American Icon

Post by turbo_dog »

I bought a Chicago Schwinn last summer very similar to one I had when I was a kid. It was a lot of fun to get it back working again, but after riding more modern bikes for the last several years, i really noticed that Schwinn is HEAVY!!

There are still bikes made in the USA, but most of them are pretty high end stuff. Tough to find one under $1000 I would think. I believe Cannondale and Trek still make some of their top of the line stuff in the USA. And there are several semi-custom type manufacturers, like Lynskey, etc.

The only exception for affordable American made bikes I can think of is the Worksman bike
http://worksmancycles.com/shopsite_sc/s ... isers.html

I guess "affordable" is relative. I look on Craigslist a lot and luckily enjoy working on them myself. Or at least taking them apart. getting them back togethere if a completely different story. lol
heviarti

Post by heviarti »

I started riding on a 40 pound 1956 schwinn tiger. That's why if you gave me one of these two pound super whiz-bang race bikes mounted with a Sturmey I could make fun of the larger percentage of these bicycle racers. I just can't handle a derailleur bike, or i'd probably manage .5 of c.
I walked a mile in my enemy's shoes.... And then I stole his shoes.
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

I rode a Schwinn Varsity until my hips and knees went into the basket.
http://sheldonbrown.com/varsity-shaddox.html
“The difference between involvement and commitment is like ham and eggs. The chicken is involved; the pig is committed.”
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

wazu013 wrote:I rode a Schwinn Varsity until my hips and knees went into the basket.
http://sheldonbrown.com/varsity-shaddox.html
I had a large frame Varsity in kind of a light blue. Very tall bike and a little heavy but I put many miles on it back in the 80's.
turbo_dog wrote:The only exception for affordable American made bikes I can think of is the Worksman bike
http://worksmancycles.com/shopsite_sc/s ... isers.html
Neat stuff,I did a "make my own" and stayed away from the luxury items(midnight blue frame)but I got white wall tires,chrome fenders and the precision sealed crank bearings and it came to $531. I also went the springer front fork 8)
Not all that bad for a heavy duty bike made in the USA.
The three speed coaster brake hub brought it up to $621.
switchman1

Post by switchman1 »

Like JerrBear I was hoping he was clean, however a cheat is a cheat, what about the competitors who didn't dope? All the way down to number 5? Thats really sad.
Switchman1 Alcohol,Tobacco,and Firearms....... who's got the chips?
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Well, it looks like Lance has finally fessed-upness to doping. NOBODY lies to The Oprah!
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
hogwild
Location: Proudly chasing the dollar to "share" with parasites

Post by hogwild »

Did he really dope? I understand he may have had his own blood extracted and then the red cells concentrated. This would allow a higher hemoglobin content to carry oxygen. Now; is that really cheating? Probably by the letter of the rules; yes. Is everyone doing it? Probably.

My view of pro sports is let them do whatever they want. Turn'em loose. It's their bodies. Since they're not hurting other people's bodies; just my evolving libertarian opinion.
The worst evils which mankind has ever had to endure were inflicted by bad governments.
Ludwig von Mises
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

hogwild wrote:Did he really dope? I understand he may have had his own blood extracted and then the red cells concentrated. This would allow a higher hemoglobin content to carry oxygen. Now; is that really cheating? Probably by the letter of the rules; yes. Is everyone doing it? Probably.
Mr. Hogwild,

Alas, we will have to wait until tonight to see what he "cops" to...
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
turbo_dog

Post by turbo_dog »

hogwild wrote:Did he really dope? I understand he may have had his own blood extracted and then the red cells concentrated. This would allow a higher hemoglobin content to carry oxygen. Now; is that really cheating? Probably by the letter of the rules; yes. Is everyone doing it? Probably.

My view of pro sports is let them do whatever they want. Turn'em loose. It's their bodies. Since they're not hurting other people's bodies; just my evolving libertarian opinion.
I used to agree with this. It is their bodies and they can do whatever they want to them; But doesn't that basically force everyone to have to dope to compete? Doesn't quite seem fair to those that choose to play "clean".

My primary outlook in life is this: Do whatever makes you happy as long as it doesn't hurt anybody else. By putting those that choose not to dope at a disadvantage, doping hurts others.

I think I said it earlier, but my main beef with Lance Armstrong isn't even his use of performance enhancing drugs, it's the way he threatened, vilified and bullied people who told the truth about him. He only cared about protecting himself and his legacy and didn't care about burning down the lives of anyone who crossed him. I am interested to see how he comes off in the interview, but I've read too many nasty things about him to go along with the people who say he is a good guy that was only doing what everybody else was doing.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

I read an article a few years back that said cocaine use was rampant in pro baseball back in the 70's.
It makes sense,they didn't have strict drug testing back then and cocaine was the drug of choice for many celebs and sports figures.

I wonder how many "homers" got knocked out by stoned players? :lol:
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

If there ever was a story that has been beaten to death it would have to be this one. Woweee,how much longer they going to drag this out?