LEGEND DIES

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Viking45

LEGEND DIES

Post by Viking45 »

RIP Les Paul,you were THEE guitar legend. I know there are a few guitar players and musicians here.

http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx ... &GT1=28102
xlr8

Re: LEGEND DIES

Post by xlr8 »

I hate to hear about ol' Les Paul's passing. I bet those original guitars are gonna jump in value a bit. :D Shoot, I couldn't afford one BEFORE the man died...Damn sure can't afford one now!!

God rest his soul... :cry:
Oh God, that knife has a spring in it!! Everybody RUN!!!!!
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Post by tr4252 »

Too bad, but it seems he led a good long life. Very ingenious man; his work with instruments, recording, and broadcasting are indeed legendary. I think he was a few years ahead of Leo Fender in the development of the solidbody guitar, among many other things; I have a Guitar Player magazine from a couple decades back, the cover photo shows Les holding The Log, that Epiphone hollow body guitar with the slab of wood running through it. I have an Epiphone LP, it's one of my favorite instruments.

R.I.P. Les Paul.

Tom
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

My condolences and prayers offered to/for the family.
tr4252

Post by tr4252 »

80's Epiphone LP. 90% as good as a Gibson, 10% the cost.

Tom
Attachments
LES PAUL STD.jpg
LES PAUL STD.jpg (223.33 KiB) Viewed 3704 times
xlr8

Post by xlr8 »

I think the Epiphone versions pay pretty good omage to the original Gibson Les Paul. We did a side-by-side comparison years ago and found the Epiphone to be a bit lighter and had a slightly different sound. If I remember correctly, the biggest difference in sound was through the 3-way switch. We didn't get real far with our comparison, as we had to do this while my buddies dad was at work. :oops: He would not let us touch his '56 sunburst. We played both through a Marshall JCM 800 and Celestion 4-12 cabinet.
tr4252

Post by tr4252 »

'56; It must be worth a fortune!

Tom
xlr8

Post by xlr8 »

I must say, it was a Goldtop, not a sunburst. The Epiphone was sunburst. Man, it's been awhile. I have no idea what a Goldtop would go for nowadays...
redeye

Post by redeye »

xlr8 wrote:
I must say, it was a Goldtop, not a sunburst. The Epiphone was sunburst. Man, it's been awhile. I have no idea what a Goldtop would go for nowadays...
a goldtop goes for about "one arm, one leg"
I am the KING of LATAMA collectors HAHAHAHAHAHAHA {EVIL LAUGH}
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

RIP LP
His legacy will always be alive. He met and played with so many stars and the Les Paul models available from Gibson to Epiphone (including customs and replicas) are peices of history that will keep him alive forever! :cry:
Leverlock switchblades
Chrisadamley

Post by Chrisadamley »

holy moly....i was curious about the price of that guitar you guys were talking about. So i looked it up. :shock:

depending on what features it has, and what year....some of those guitars go for $175,000....WOW

I didnt realize that a guitar could be worth that much collectors value, crazy.
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Chrisadamley wrote:holy moly....i was curious about the price of that guitar you guys were talking about. So i looked it up. :shock:

depending on what features it has, and what year....some of those guitars go for $175,000....WOW

I didnt realize that a guitar could be worth that much collectors value, crazy.
I would be more willing to shell out big bux (not that those are plentiful around here) for a classic like that than some of the crappy "Sports Memorabilia" that is blatantly manufactured before your very eyes. True, not too much cost up front, but most of that junk has less long run value than stuff from the Franklin Mint.

Now I have some very interesting mechanical knives for sale that were made by elves that only work in northern Italy near the Alps and take lots of vacations; consequently their output is very small. Each piece has a facinating story :lol: :lol: :lol:
xlr8

Post by xlr8 »

....some of those guitars go for $175,000....WOW
Wow! I knew they were pretty valuable back 2 decades ago, but I never would have thought we were playing with a multi, MULTI kilo-buck instrument. 'Till now, I had thought the most expensive one I'd ever played was a black one that had a solid abalone pickguard and fret inlays. It was a custom model built in the '60's. I was told it was worth about $10k back in the late 90's.

I've always enjoyed watching Jimmy Page wail on a whole assortment of Les Paul guitars. Matter of fact, I'm gonna pop a DVD in now. :lol:
xlr8

Post by xlr8 »

Here's an example of that beautiful Les Paul sound played by the master.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEiyGgWt6no