Jerry Knife Status

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Viking45

Re: Jerry Knife Status

Post by Viking45 »

redeye wrote:I have been kidnapped and held for ransom all week but my check will go out tomorrow .

No problemo 8)
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

I want to apologize to everyone for the delay on the engraving. I know everyone wants their knives and it's no ones fault but mine.
The man's laser engraver will not cut through the hard powder coat on the knives so having said that I have another trick up my sleeve because when I take on a task I do everything in my power to see it through.

Again I am truly sorry for the delay and I want to thank everyone for their patience though this ordeal.
I promise this thing will get taken care of very soon.

Here is a pic of the knife he tried to engrave, you can see it just barely made a scratch. I do not know for sure but I think it might be Freddie's knife.
Freddie if you are reading this I will be happy to send you the knife I chose in place of the silver one with a botched etching.
Attachments
Fail.jpg
Fail.jpg (159.23 KiB) Viewed 3533 times
Markco the Mad otter

Post by Markco the Mad otter »

Awww that's too bad. Viking, sorry that this has become such an ordeal for you. Personally, I'm in no hurry. Whatever you manage to work out is fine by me. Good luck.
SNAP, SNAP, SNAP!!
barshoo

Post by barshoo »

No sweat here, Dave. As for me, I have plenty of time, And it is well worth waiting to get the job done right. You are doing us a great service! Barb
I will push your buttons--please pass me your switchblades first.
Furcs

Post by Furcs »

Thanks for checking in.
It's all good, it's not your fault, no rush at all, and however it turns out will be just fine with me. I think that covers it!
Oh,and as always thanks so much for all you're doing on this. :D
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

In Goldfinger, Bond almost gets cut in half by a laser. But 52 years later we find it can't even burn through some thin powder coating. So we have all been mislead for years about the capabilities of this miraculous "light ray". My faith in technology has been shattered! Better not let this out or the Chinese will start coating all their military assets with that powder....

All kidding aside, I'm sure this will work out. I have enough knives to keep me busy. I am sorry that this has resulted in your spending still more time and effort on this project. You have our thanks for your selfless efforts in our behalf. By "our" I mean all who are have bought these memorial knives. Let us know if any assistance on our part would help.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Thanks to everyone for understanding, I too am baffled that we have a spacecraft that has reached the outer edges of our solar system and yet still sends crystal clear images of galaxies a hundred thousand light years away but we can't cut through paint.

I saved these images from the Ozark Engraver's website- One is clearly granite and the other appears to be a breather cover for a motorcycle.
Looks like powder coat to me and granite? Only thing to cut granite is diamond and apparently this man's laser engraver.
Seems the Taiwanese have a secret weapon in this finish they put on the all-mighty Lightning, perhaps a stolen concept from NASA? 8)

I just ask a bit more patience because this now has become an all out endeavor.
Attachments
OE1.jpg
OE1.jpg (151.34 KiB) Viewed 3511 times
OE2.jpg
OE2.jpg (131.55 KiB) Viewed 3511 times
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

Relax, sit back and pop open a cold one, maybe a couple 3, then later on about 4 fingers of Jim Beam, it'll all work out in the end! :D
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Go figure, cuts through a rock but not the paint on a cheap knife. Bastards must have put way to much led in the paint. HO! HO!
2024 candidate for president
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

lol, me thinks you're probably rightness, Sammy!
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

tequiza wrote:Relax, sit back and pop open a cold one, maybe a couple 3, then later on about 4 fingers of Jim Beam, it'll all work out in the end! :D
Way ahead of ya cat-daddy, sipping some Jim Beam Black with a drop more juice at 86 instead of the regular 80 proof but hey I'm being healthy about it, I'm having it with orange juice instead of cola. 8)

I'm not really worked-up over this deal but it has been going on now for over two months,I mean how long does it take to engrave 14 knives?
Most other engravers in town have the same type of machine and those that do it by hand want more than the knives are worth.
I have not checked with every engraver in town but this guy that owns Ozark Engravers told me everyone he knows has a similar machine.

I know nothing about this but do these things ever run low on lazer-juice or how do they work exactly? I mean does this guy's machine need to be turned up to "turbo cut" or what? He told me he does stainless all the time yet it can't get past a Taiwanese paint job?

But trust me, this is a great guy, I've talked in person with him four times and twice in emails, in fact he takes me in back and shows me all around the shop, shows me how his computer controls the machine and shows me all the different projects he has going.

Oh hell I can't lie to my friends, I drank all your money away and I'm sitting in a coffee shop just outside Tucumcari waiting for a Greyhound to Flagstaff :lol:
sammy the blade wrote:Go figure, cuts through a rock but not the paint on a cheap knife. Bastards must have put way to much led in the paint. HO! HO!
Lead hell, this must be Kryptonite paint. 8)
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

Got an unopened bottle of Knob Creek 120 proof in the cupboard, when I get Jerr's knife i'll open it with the knife and drink a glass, or two in his memory!
You might get a bus out of there, but the train doesn't stop at Tucumcari. :lol:
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Personally, I don't care if there is engraving or not. He may have to go old school and get out the hammer and chisel. HO! HO!
2024 candidate for president
Markco the Mad otter

Post by Markco the Mad otter »

Scratch something on all the blades with another one of the knives. ;P
SNAP, SNAP, SNAP!!
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

tequiza wrote:Got an unopened bottle of Knob Creek 120 proof in the cupboard, when I get Jerr's knife i'll open it with the knife and drink a glass, or two in his memory!
You might get a bus out of there, but the train doesn't stop at Tucumcari. :lol:
Outstanding!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1DcFhaCCwI

Ha haa,thanks Pete, That made my night my friend. 8)
For 30 years that has been a private joke between my dad and I. We have made that trip countless times and I have swam in the the tiny pool in the motel in Winslow when I was a kid in the early 70's (before the song was famous) I say motel because in 1971 there was only one :idea: