Old Sayings

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
redeye

Re: Old Sayings

Post by redeye »

Vagrant wrote:
redeye wrote:I was reminded of an old saying today as it was raining and the sun was shining at the same time.I was always told that meant that the davil was beating his wife.Have any of yall ever heard that one? My girl Jody {who is a yankee } had never heard that and she has lived in the deep south since she was 15 and every summer since birth.
The only rain related one, I heard in the south, is SOOO obscene, there is NO WAY. Icould clean it up and still have it make any sense :lol:

Al ,did it have to do with a cow with double plumbing peeing onna flat rock? lol as in"its rainong like a double tootied cow peeing onna flat rock"
I am the KING of LATAMA collectors HAHAHAHAHAHAHA {EVIL LAUGH}
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

One I always liked was one from Satchel Paige, probably the greatest baseball pitcher ever :!:
If you don't pray when the sun is shining then don't pray when it rains.
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Dumb -
Dumber than a doorknob.
Dumber than a doorstop.
Dumber than a divot.
Dumber than a sack of shi(
etc, etc,
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

jim d, wrote:These are common in Eastern N.C. I don't hear them very much here in Central N.C., and don't know about elsewhere.

"Give out" = to be tired
"Slam wore out" = to be extremely tired
"Come up a cloud and fell a flood" = typically used to describe a Summer thunderstorm having a rapid onset and accompanying heavy rain
"might could" = it is possible that...

Jim
I have heard those. Another similar one-
"Plum tuckered out"

I like the slang some of my friends in England says.

For "shut up" they say "belt up"
For "anyway" it's "any road"
Lots of slang for being or getting drunk-
"p*ssed"
"bladdered"
"boiled as an owl"
"Take a tumble down the gravel" Not sure but I think it means walking home drunk.
There were so many I forgot them all but the one thing I heard several of my Brit friends say was "brill"
Seems if they really like something or if I said something funny they would say "that's brill"
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

redeye wrote:
Vagrant wrote:
redeye wrote:I was reminded of an old saying today as it was raining and the sun was shining at the same time.I was always told that meant that the davil was beating his wife.Have any of yall ever heard that one? My girl Jody {who is a yankee } had never heard that and she has lived in the deep south since she was 15 and every summer since birth.
The only rain related one, I heard in the south, is SOOO obscene, there is NO WAY. Icould clean it up and still have it make any sense :lol:

Al ,did it have to do with a cow with double plumbing peeing onna flat rock? lol as in"its rainong like a double tootied cow peeing onna flat rock"
Bingo :wink:
KMNREMTP

Post by KMNREMTP »

i'm fissena post one for y'all. My mom told her boss once that she was fissena take a lunch break. The boss said ur gunna do what?! She said fissena (fixing to) as in 'about to'
I asked a fellow that ordered milk at a breakfast joint once, ' do ya want it witchya meal?' His more.... grammatically correct?.... girlfriend was like 'what is a witchie meal'. He had to explain to her that i meant 'with your meal'
switchman1

Post by switchman1 »

Dumber than an anvil
Dumber than a box of rocks
In the Boston area wicked means really good.
Wicked good
Wicked cool
Wicked excellent, and my all time favorite
Wicked pissa! :)
Switchman1 Alcohol,Tobacco,and Firearms....... who's got the chips?