Roofers poll!

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!

Have you ever fell off a roof? (open for all, not only roofers)

yes, once
27%
yes, more than once
13%
yes, a day without falling off is no day at all
No votes
no, I'm afraid of heights
20%
no, I'm Spiderman
27%
no, not that I know of
13%

Total votes: 15

Mr_Guano

Roofers poll!

Post by Mr_Guano »

INSPIRED BY ROOFING CONVERSATION GOING ON IN THE SWITCHBLADE FORUM!

If you are or have been a roofer, did you ever fall off the roof?

I know I did...
Tumbled down the roof, fell two meters free fall, landed in a concrete stairway (on my back), tipped over a few flowers and tore down the the the what the hell its called that's supposed to drain the water (gutter?).
BUT I was OK. Just a small cut on my left pinky!
Scared the living daylights out of my boss, he thought I was dead since I was so silent down there...

Mr_G
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

Mr. Guano,

My last fall was in 89 :( A 2 story drop on the fence and sidewalk. A crushed heel/ankle and both bones in my right forearm had my right hand touching my right elbow. After 2 weeks in the hospital and 2 surgeries, I got to hang out on crutches for 7 months. The Doc put stainless plates in my arm so I could use my crutches. To tell you the truth, I was a happy camper because I was still alive. Since then I've had three surgeries to partially fuse my ankle and relieve pain. I'll get a pic of the hardware they pulled out if you're interested. Most the roofers I know that have been around for any length of time have been over the edge a few times.

That's just the stuff they could find. I'm still packing SS. I'd like to skip the removal part though.

Best Regard's,

Bonz
Last edited by Bonzo on Thu Apr 03, 2003 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
J-man
Supreme ruler of Bali-island!

Post by J-man »

Bonz, lets see the metal that was put in ya!
Wally J. Corpse
Level Zero: True Jerk

Post by Wally J. Corpse »

Greetings, Mr. Guano-

In 27 years of roofing all over the USA, I have never fallen off the roof. I did however, fall off the back of a turnip truck.

AS ever,

Your ol' pal,

Wally J. Corpse
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

If I'm more than 10' off the ground it better be inside the building, or in a very well maintained aircraft.
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

i've rode my bike off the roof of my house a few times, and once off the garage into the pool :D does that count?

i too have extra hardware - titanium wire in my face! argument with tree - i lost :(
Mr_Guano

Post by Mr_Guano »

Hi!

Bonz,
That's an impressive hardware-collection!
Lucky you're still with us with that kind of fall... :wink:

Mr Corpse,
Never fallen off the roof?
You're not doing it right! God job on the turnip truck, though.

Mr. mrbigg,
Yes, you certainly qualify, even though you deliberately jump off!

spiderman,
I thought there could be only one...

Thanks for participating!

Mr_G
Ice Dog

Post by Ice Dog »

Does slipping off a ROOF while trying to shovel 3' of snow count? Two years ago, we got more than our fair share of snow.
It's only funny until someone gets hurt.....
............Then It's Hilarious!!!
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

Mr. Corpse,

Several years ago I was talking to the estimator after work. I kept smelling dog shit and looked under my shoes and then asked the guy if he had it on his shoes. He looked and said no, but he had been smelling it all day long. When he turned around, I saw a big pile of it flattened out on the back of his jacket. I asked him how the hell did he manage that. He looked pretty dumbfounded for awhile then said it must have happened when he fell off the ladder that morning. After he told me how all our potential customers were avoiding him that day, we laughed so hard we were both in tears.

Best Regard's,

Bonz
Thomas Jefferson
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus

Post by Bonzo »

Mr_Guano wrote: That's an impressive hardware-collection!
Lucky you're still with us with that kind of fall... :wink:

Mr. Guano,

In 96, one of my guys fell 12 feet and shattered both ankles and heels. After a major doctor f/u, he lost a leg below the knee. That one cost my insurance company the million dollar limit.

Yeah, I feel really lucky :wink:

Best Regard's,

Bonz
Thomas Jefferson