ED. Wustof

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
jim d,

ED. Wustof

Post by jim d, »

ED. Wustof 11cm: I've been looking for the right example for years and thanks to Mark Erickson I now have it.

Wustof kitchen cutlery is still made today. My research indicates that Wustof ceased production of "pocketknives" in the 1970s, but didn't yield any information regarding their marketing of contract knives.

I have no idea when my knife was made, or whether it was made by Wusthof, or is a contract knife. It does not neatly fit into any of Ulf A's leverlock types, and does not have the dimensions of any of my other leverlocks. It is thinner than others but has a thicker blade and backspring than most. Scales are stag, liners brass, and the blade is polished.

I am happy to add this one to my collection and would appreciate any additional information on it.

Jim
IMG_1322.jpeg
IMG_1322.jpeg (660.57 KiB) Viewed 3646 times
IMG_1319.jpeg
IMG_1319.jpeg (691.45 KiB) Viewed 3646 times
IMG_1316.jpeg
IMG_1316.jpeg (318.39 KiB) Viewed 3646 times
rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Re: ED. Wustof

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

Jim, sorry no info, but that is a beauty.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Jim,
I believe your Wusthoff is a Bonsa contract knife.
It's my theory, after examining thousands of leverlock parts, that most of these knife parts were common-made by just a few manufacturers, and then assembled in the various factories. This is why there are subtle differences in shape, as there is leeway to grind the handles differently after assembly. Pin placement remains the same, though.
Attachments
IMG_2547.JPG
IMG_2547.JPG (1002.56 KiB) Viewed 3619 times
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Thanks for the insight, Micky, and it absolutely makes sense. Your choice of the term "subtle differences" is spot on. When comparing the Wusthof to my other leverlocks I did notice it was by far closest to a Bonsa. Pin placement is identical on the two, as is overall shape. What threw me was that the Bonsa has steel liners and the Wusthof has brass. The Wusthof has bolster grooves and the Bonsa does not. Thinking about it, these would be simple component substitutions for a manufacturer, and would not need any technical assembly line changeover from other runs. Likewise, the presence of the "Springer" stamp on the Bonsa, the polished blade on the Wusthof, and the scale material would be simple component substitutions. Given the cottage industry manufacturing practices of German leverlock production, it all makes sense. Here is a photo of the two with the Wusthof on top.

Jim
IMG_1326.jpeg
IMG_1326.jpeg (126.74 KiB) Viewed 3606 times
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

My pictured Bonsa has brass liners and threaded bolsters.
The manufacturers would build any combination for the buyers.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Great looking addition, Jim! All really nice!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Great looking knife Jim!
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Jim
Thats a real nice looking leverlock..

I have never seen a Wustof marked example before and its such a great stamp ,love the trident above the rostfrei aswell ,great little detail .

Its in really good order and I am glad you got it .

Thanks for the look mate .
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

That is great!
Twobit

Post by Twobit »

It is a looker. Very nice.