13" Mauro Mario

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
JulesVane

13" Mauro Mario

Post by JulesVane »

Lots of really nice 13" picklocks posted lately! Here's a 13" Mauro Mario picklock that I was fortunate to acquire from tydy. (Thanks again tydy!). I think the horn is pretty special...

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
sprink

Re: 13" Mauro Mario

Post by sprink »

Wow that's a beauty, great score
thom

Post by thom »

Nice score, JV. Looks familiar. Does have unique horn.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Thanks guys! It should Thom! lol

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
thom

Post by thom »

JulesVane wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:29 am Thanks guys! It should Thom! lol
I forgot all about it. Glad you got it.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

That is a gorgeous picklock - many thanks for sharing. Love those old thick 13s. Tydy was mentioned, has anyone heard from him lately? He helped me much during my early switchblade education some 20 years ago. I always thought of him as a great guy and I believe I bought some knives from him.

Jim
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Thanks Jim! Through Thom, I got to speak with Tydy quite a few times and probably got a half dozen nice knives from him. He’s a great guy and has been good to me (and I’m sure Thom would agree). He does check into this forum and sent me lots of info during the Oreste DiBon debates lol.

rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

Chris, that is one fine looking 13",and the scales,WOW!.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

rock-n-roll$$$$$$ wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:48 pm Chris, that is one fine looking 13",and the scales,WOW!.
Thanks so much Eric!

Jackalope

Post by Jackalope »

That is one fine looking knife. Also is one of my favorite tang stamps. You don't see many in 33cm. I'll post photos of one that I bought when I get a chance.
PlatonicSolid

Post by PlatonicSolid »

Very fine 33cm you have there! I am getting a bit confused reading about Mauro Mario and all of the various import stamps used.. were the blades that are only stamped Mauro Mario like this one not intended for export from Italy?
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Thanks Jeff and Platonic! I'm not positive, but I think the U.S. had them stamp them with the Country of origin, or makers stamp or importers stamp. One thing I've recently seen in a group of collectors actually located in Italy, is that they don't seem to collect (or care) about tang stamps much, because most of the stamps were exported to the U.S. and didn't remain for the collectors in Italy. So, their collecting habits must be very different than ours in the vintage category. What stamps actually stayed in Italy is a good question.

WheelingWV

Post by WheelingWV »

Awesome acquisition JulesVane! I’m drooling. Those scales are gorgeous.
Mistakes are like knives. They can help us or they can hurt us. It all depends on whether we grab ‘em by the handle or by the blade.
picklocksrock

Post by picklocksrock »

That’s a spectacular piece!
“Tough times never last, but tough people do”
-Robert H. Shuller
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Thanks very much guys!