ROBT. KLAAS

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
JulesVane

ROBT. KLAAS

Post by JulesVane »

ROBT. KLAAS 7"...Recent additions to my small leverlock collection...

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: ROBT. KLAAS

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Very nice knives.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:07 am Very nice knives.
Thank you so much Bill. It means a lot!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
portlandmike

Post by portlandmike »

Gorgeous knives !
thom

Post by thom »

Cool knife and cool stamp. Nice addition to your meager collection. Lol
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Those are great examples of a model I like. I noticed yours don't have the ding from the hardness tester. Here is mine with the "root beer" scales. You can see the ding on the tang stamp. Do you know when yours were made? I bought mine as a stock item from from Knifeshop in the early 2000's. I wonder if the hardness testing was either started after yours were made or stopped after mine was made.
Jim
IMG_0451 (2).JPG
IMG_0451 (2).JPG (181.45 KiB) Viewed 2235 times
IMG_0452 (2).JPG
IMG_0452 (2).JPG (136.64 KiB) Viewed 2235 times
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Thanks Mike and Thom! Jim: No I really don’t know the dates of production at all. I’m just recently getting into the German leverlocks and lots to learn! I believe I did read that the shorter exposed spring was towards the end of the production days for Klaas, but I don’t know when that was either. I have spent lots of time on the forums researching these knives from older posts. I don’t think I’ve seen another example with this hardness test on the tang, but I have not seen a whole lot of these Klaas knives at all really. Very well built solid knives and I think we are lucky to have them for sure!

Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Jim,
That's just a bad stamping- not a hardness testing mark.
I checked 5 of my Klaas knives. None of them have anything like that.
A hardness testing mark would be a very small, distinct round mark.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Thanks for the clarification, and I always thought it was a hardness testing mark. It almost looks like it is damage of some sort.

The comment that the smaller exposed amount of the lever spring being from closer to the end of the Klass production makes sense as I seem to remember they disappeared from then current new stock not long after I got mine.

Jim
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Yes- there was a piece of trash metal under the stamping die.
After Knifeshop ran out of these they sold the Italian-made versions marked "Kissing Cranes."
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

I see - trash metal under the stamping die - makes sense. Yes, I remember the Italian ones. I like my root beer version but actually wanted one in stag. What happened was I waited too long and the stag was sold out when I ordered.

Jim
thom

Post by thom »

JV, which do you prefer. The concave or the convex scales? Which is more comfortable? Cool to have one of each of the same knife to compare.
Thom
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

thom wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:27 pm JV, which do you prefer. The concave or the convex scales? Which is more comfortable? Cool to have one of each of the same knife to compare.
Thom
Great question Thom. Though I don’t really handle my knives all that much, I feel the top bolsters on the concave (sunken in?) one acts like a better thumb guard than the one where the scales are more even with the top bolsters. But visually, I suppose the fuller scales are more pleasing to many. I do like having both as it shows the natural stag cuts that were used (as compared to imitation).

eddymunster

Post by eddymunster »

Two of the three I have.
Attachments
DSC01953 (Medium).JPG
DSC01953 (Medium).JPG (195.73 KiB) Viewed 2061 times
DSC01950 (Medium).JPG
DSC01950 (Medium).JPG (198.66 KiB) Viewed 2061 times
DSC01948 (Medium).JPG
DSC01948 (Medium).JPG (239.84 KiB) Viewed 2061 times