The Hawk

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
ILikeStilettos

The Hawk

Post by ILikeStilettos »

OK, I'm at it again. I call this 13" knife "The Hawk". The scallops on the top are supposed to look like a saw blade, but are strictly decorative. I only design art knives, but this one could have a safety added and become an EDC. The grind is especially forgiving to produce a sharp and functional edge. I don't show the fulcrum in the bottom views, but the idea is that you can slide your thumb forward to use it. Otherwise it stows securely against the spine of the knife. I've done a couple of tricks here, like the kicker not hitting the sear and the kicker is attached with only one through pin for easy replacement. This one is designed to be an easy build with lots of design tolerance. I can provide full scale templates free in the USA or internationally if you cover the postage.

This is an external view of the open knife, how it should look to the owner. Note that it has a "French notch" to facilitate sharpening and a sharply dropped point. It's a mild sort of karambit. A few serations would make it even wilder. The blade is nominally .875" wide and .15" thick, so very sturdy. There is almost 6" of blade with 5-1/4" of cutting edge.

This is the external view of the closed knife, how it should look to the owner. Right now the scales are about 5-5/16" long, but the bolsters could be increased slightly in length to utilize the many pretty 5" scales that are available.

Open view showing the internals, for those that are curious how it works.

Closed view showing all the inner workings. Note that the rocker assembly sits at a slight angle so as to be centered on the handle.

I plan to commission one of these in the future, but feel free to beat me to it. I only ask that you mention it's my design and show some pictures of how it turned out. I'd send it to Angelo, but his past interest in my stuff never came to fruition. I also have this totally gorgeous piece of stabilized mammoth that I would love to use for the project, but I am not sure JimBrown257 works with that stuff.

Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
sammy the blade

Re: The Hawk

Post by sammy the blade »

Should be another nice one, as usual.
2024 candidate for president
rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

lookin good Dave,glad to see ya back at it
thom

Post by thom »

Dave, That IS nice. I hope someone makes it. You should make it especially with those awesome mammoth scales.