9" Flatguard Picklock

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
JulesVane

9" Flatguard Picklock

Post by JulesVane »

Un-stamped 9". Many won't like that it's been cleaned and rescaled, I know...I know... :lol:

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
thom

Re: 9" Flatguard Picklock

Post by thom »

I like it.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

thom wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:22 amI like it.
Thank you Thom!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
thom

Post by thom »

I really like those small flat guards. Looks good on the 9" What are the scales? Light horn?
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

thom wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:25 am I really like those small flat guards. Looks good on the 9" What are the scales? Light horn?
Thanks Thom...yes, light or blonde I guess we call it.

Chris51P

Post by Chris51P »

JulesVane wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:12 am Un-stamped 9". Many won't like that it's been cleaned and rescaled, I know...I know... :lol:

Very nice knife. I for one, if it's possible, like to see vintage knives restored to their former glory. I take it that since it's unstamped that it was not made for the import market but rather the local Italian market. Is that correct?
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Thanks, and yes. As I understand the un-marked pieces as well. Not intended for export from Italy.

rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

I like un-stamped picklock's,nice one Chris.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

I like it as well.

Jim
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

8)
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Nice ! I like it !
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

Very pretty. I like the shapely handle proportions, the unusual locktab, the through-hole and the pronounced sear relief. That old gal's gotta be pushing, what? Eighty or ninety? She's almost a bona fide antique.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Hi guys! I want to thank you all for the kind words about this knife. Though I never mentioned what year(s) I thought it was produced, I bought it as a 1930’s small eared Flatguard PickLock. This was my very first attempt at a piece this old and it didn’t work out very well. It raised red flags with multiple experienced collectors on its authenticity and I thank those who chimed in to let me know. So...I have returned the knife. Old Flatguard PickLocks are apparently beyond my education. It’s been quite a learning experience for sure and all will work out fine, I’m sure. Again, thanks to all for the kind words!

thom

Post by thom »

Did you pay for the restoration? I still like it.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

thom wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:06 am Did you pay for the restoration? I still like it.
Oh no Thom, I bought it as is. Fully knowing it had been polished and rescaled. The pics didn't really show how much buffing the button side (especially) of the blade was done. But, without further education on what a supposedly 1930's flatguard should look like and what was "affordable" to me, it's just a realm of collecting I'm not up to. If you find one you think you (I) can afford, you expect no perfection naturally. At least, I didn't. These things can cost thousands of dollars. Way beyond my reach! I'm pretty sure I'll be sticking with the '50's picklocks for a while because I now realize I really don't know what I'm doing with antique flatguards! :lol: