JimBrown257, Variations on a Theme

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
ILikeStilettos

JimBrown257, Variations on a Theme

Post by ILikeStilettos »

When I drew this up I knew I wanted two knives, one for a friend, and one for me. I got the first knife, the dagger in buckeye burl. Before Jeremy started on the second one there was an ongoing discussion about the design theory behind Kris bladed knives and some very interested perspective on how to make them nice from jerryk25. (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=27884) Much to my surprise, the second knife came in with the very Kris blade that we had been talking about. I wasn't unhappy, just shocked. I've decided to ship the first one to my friend and keep the Kris. More details on the individual pictures. If you want one of these beasts, just reach out to JimBrown257. If he makes you one, I'd love to see it. There are a couple of videos that will explain things.

This is where the design started:

And here are the two resultant knives. It's one thing to see a design rendered in color, another to see the actual knife. I like what I do, but I like what Jeremy does a whole bunch better.

This is how I saw it in my head, as a sort of bulky picklock. I was imitating a Spanish design for the locking tab, but Jeremy came up with the greatly improved fulcrum release lockback.

Please notice how the extension self-stores in the blade well due to the coil spring in the pommel.

Blade closed, extension open:

Internal view of same:

This is a short video showing me firing the dagger and doing the first part of the close.

https://youtu.be/LFmCiQJ7_N4

This video shows how to deal with the extension cover on a similar knife.

https://youtu.be/rmD_hvuKsFU

The dagger is done in buckeye burl with a CA finish, the Kris is stabilized giraffebone. I like buying my own scale material and sending it to the cutler. Not only does this give you a chance to make changes before everything is locked down, but also it you avoid oreos and can do a certain amount of book matching. If you buy the scales long, then you can bias to one end or the other where you might have a preference for grain or coloration.

The shorter fire lever of the Kris is very crisp, but takes a bit of pressure to fire.

With a guy as talented as Jeremy, it pays to give him latitude. The big buttons on the extension of the upper knife tend to smack your fingers if you have them in the wrong spot, but I prefer the shorter handle.

Without even being on Facebook, Jeremy has a huge following there. He's well known in half a dozen switchblade groups and is well regarded as one of today's top Master Cutlers. His ascendancy had been phenominal.

There's nothing else I can say. JimBrown257 makes some superb art and his pieces are in big demand. I'm a huge fan and I intend to buy all the knives I can from him.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
Lucentcrow

Re: JimBrown257, Variations on a Theme

Post by Lucentcrow »

Wow what can’t jeremy do :)
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Marvelous!
2024 candidate for president
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Beautiful
daddyloko

Post by daddyloko »

Those are pretty cool knives. You always show up with some really unique knives and straight razors.
tedmen

Post by tedmen »

I know this is a fairly old thread but gotta say....those are very interesting. And nice to see the pictures are still viewable....so many of the pics are lost [or blurred] in the old threads...it's kind of a shame.
picklocksrock

Post by picklocksrock »

I think these are fantastic switchblades, really nice!
“Tough times never last, but tough people do”
-Robert H. Shuller