7" B Svobody Picklock

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
JulesVane

7" B Svobody Picklock

Post by JulesVane »

I have a few B Svoboda picklocks, but this is my first B Svobody. I have read Svobody was the European spelling of Svoboda and both spellings imported by Ring Cutlery of California. I wasn't the best in Geography, but isn't Italy part of Europe? So, why the different spellings?

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
thom

Re: 7" B Svobody Picklock

Post by thom »

Boy, you got that fast. hahahaha
Thom
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

thom wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:34 pm Boy, you got that fast. hahahaha
Thom
LMAO! Yes Thom, darn near lightning speed! On a slow boat from Austria!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

Nice find! I love those 7 inchers.

Here's an informative discussion on the SD board about the different spellings: http://www.sharperdeal.biz/forums/viewt ... =B.SVOBODY
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Thank you for the link Rick. Just read through it. I had no idea of the debates and theories involved.

JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

I have wondered about the Svoboda/Svobody thing two. I asked about this on SD a few years ago. If you can find the thread, I think there is some stuff about the differences seen in the two knives. It could be that B.Svodody is like the non-formal nickname type stamp they put on certain models.

There is some info about B.Svoboda out there. Mr. Svoboda was the leader of some organization called something like the Freedom Club. The word Svoboda means "liberty" so I believe B. Svoboda was the guy's pen-name.
georgyboy

Post by georgyboy »

JulesVane wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:01 pm I have a few B Svoboda picklocks, but this is my first B Svobody. I have read Svobody was the European spelling of Svoboda and both spellings imported by Ring Cutlery of California. I wasn't the best in Geography, but isn't Italy part of Europe? So, why the different spellings?

it's a different dialect of europeeing :twisted:
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

georgyboy wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:18 am it's a different dialect of europeeing :twisted:
Hey georgyboy, you may be on to something there! Maybe an order was placed by phone...

Importer: "Hi, I'd like to place an order for 300 pieces stamped B Svoboda"
Maker: "What's that, 300 pieces stamped B Svobody?"
Importer: "Yes, 300 pieces stamped B Svoboda"
Maker: "OK, we make you 300 pieces stamped B Svobody, no problem"

...I'm all for the simplicity of that :lol:

boblees812

Post by boblees812 »

Check with Maltese flatguard he tell about the difference between the two names why the spell is differene
Maltese flatguard

Post by Maltese flatguard »

JulesVane wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:36 am
georgyboy wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:18 am it's a different dialect of europeeing :twisted:
Hey georgyboy, you may be on to something there! Maybe an order was placed by phone...

Importer: "Hi, I'd like to place an order for 300 pieces stamped B Svoboda"
Maker: "What's that, 300 pieces stamped B Svobody?"
Importer: "Yes, 300 pieces stamped B Svoboda"
Maker: "OK, we make you 300 pieces stamped B Svobody, no problem"

...I'm all for the simplicity of that :lol:
Yes to be honest this is probably the best answer. A simple misspelling. The theory about the name being the same as Freedom is neat.

I was able to discover that the ones stamped B. Svoboda (with and A) and Ring Cutlery came later.

Those with the B. Svobody (with a Y) were earlier.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Thanks Maltese. Just my personal recollection and I don't mean to insinuate rare or common, but I'm pretty sure I've seen more with an "A" than with a "Y".

JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

I suppose it could be a misspelling. The idea that Svoboda was changed to Svobody to hide the ethnicity never seemed right to me. Dropping the vowel at the beginning or end of the name worked for a lot of early 20th century immigrants but I don't think changing an 'a' to a 'y' is going to fool many people if the first three letters are still "svo'.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

If you are engraving a stamping die, you have to visualize everything in mirror image. It can get rather confusing.
If you engrave an "A" upside down, it looks just like a "Y" when you use the stamp.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Maltese flatguard

Post by Maltese flatguard »

JulesVane wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:01 pm I have a few B Svoboda picklocks, but this is my first B Svobody. I have read Svobody was the European spelling of Svoboda and both spellings imported by Ring Cutlery of California. I wasn't the best in Geography, but isn't Italy part of Europe? So, why the different spellings?

From one of their old catalogs
Attachments
F2613D3E-A693-4E87-A125-DE183F0EED4F.jpeg
F2613D3E-A693-4E87-A125-DE183F0EED4F.jpeg (207.55 KiB) Viewed 4255 times
georgyboy

Post by georgyboy »

Maltese flatguard wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:40 pm

From one of their old catalogs
JimBrown257 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:13 am I suppose it could be a misspelling. The idea that Svoboda was changed to Svobody to hide the ethnicity never seemed right to me. Dropping the vowel at the beginning or end of the name worked for a lot of early 20th century immigrants but I don't think changing an 'a' to a 'y' is going to fool many people if the first three letters are still "svo'.
I'ts all about regional spelling,maniago is in Italy-but it is near,Austria.Slovakia,Czech republic-etc each w/it's own spellings and syntax,down here in N.O, there is an oyster(erster) wholesaler named SWOBODYE AND SONS!