Renzo Pascotto Collection

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
thom

Re: Renzo Pascotto Collection

Post by thom »

Mick, Really nice, the only thing that could make it better is to be in my house.
Thom
mick17

Post by mick17 »

Thanks Chris and thanks everyone who commented! I feel very fortunate to own that beauty and all my RP’s. In an industry where quantity is usually the objective of the makers, I’m so happy there is a man like RP that takes pride in proper functionality, form, and not the least of which- incredible beauty.

Unfortunately it seems our beloved Maniago cottage industry is not what it once was. I don’t think there will be any more notable names like Renzo Pascotto making knives. There will just be groups of knife makers with no personal (artistic) signatures on our stilettos. Another thing about RP- he was always innovating. There are 1/1 prototypes out there from him that push the stilleto design but I guess those were considered too outlandish to produce.

I’ll say this though- we collectors would be in dire straights without Angelo Campolin continuing the tradition and doing a damn good job at it. This thing that brings us together known simply as stilletos or switchblades would be probably be done at this point without him. There has to be an artist like RP to come along again and innovate if this thing we do can continue. Otherwise Italian stilletos will be relegated to the gift shops. They were intended as a novelty but they’ve become far more than that.

So enough of my soapbox speeches- what do we have here now for the Delta count?

1. Stag
3. Brazilian horn
4. Buffalo
5. Ebony

I would guess #2 is MOP? Just a guess can anyone confirm?
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

With all due respect, Mick17, Maniago does not seem interested in new Italian Stiletto designs. I've done dozens of them, even sent a few to Angelo who said that he didn't have enough builders to try them . My collection contains multiple knives from multiple curlers whom I have commisioned to build them. There are a few USA builders doing cool things (three generations of Vallottons come to mind), Burn, Bob Metz, etc. JTK makes a lot of dreams come true and has had skills. To me, Maniago is just treading water. I can design very cool stuff, there are folks who will build it, but by and large almost nobody exists to spend the money to find a project.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
thom

Post by thom »

I bet it is a polished Ram's Horn. They made a few 13s and 11s in Ram's Horn.