14cm Italian PickLock Stiletto's Oreste DiBon

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
whippersnapper

Re: 14cm Italian PickLock Stiletto's Oreste DiBon

Post by whippersnapper »

sammy the blade wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:25 am Appears to be in very good shape. Do you have an idea about how long you have had it? I still have the Moletto I got from you a few years back and the little stiletto you sent with it.
A got it from tyler_rabbit around 2008. Some of you guys might remember him. He did professional animation and movie production in Hollywood. He jumped in head first and caught the switchblade bug big time, with a taste for the good stuff. Then like a lot of guys disappeared into the sunset never to be heard from again. I tried many times to get in touch with him without success. I miss the young guy.
Jackalope

Post by Jackalope »

whippersnapper wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:49 pm You know what? I'm not entirely sure it isn't. When I got it several years ago it was the same time the new Marios were coming out and was either told by seller (or I assumed) it was the repro. He was a new collector who didn't stick around the forums long. It was basically a throw in for part of a trade.

I will be honest. I never really looked at it too closely until yesterday. When I got it, I checked to see if it worked and tossed it in my chest. It wasn't until this thread that I remembered it and took a close picture and can see the age and opening marks on the blade and bolster.

Maybe I lucked out and got a vintage knife? I'm not an expert enough to know for sure.
Is yours a 12cm or a 14cm?
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Jackalope wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:40 am
whippersnapper wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:49 pm You know what? I'm not entirely sure it isn't. When I got it several years ago it was the same time the new Marios were coming out and was either told by seller (or I assumed) it was the repro. He was a new collector who didn't stick around the forums long. It was basically a throw in for part of a trade.

I will be honest. I never really looked at it too closely until yesterday. When I got it, I checked to see if it worked and tossed it in my chest. It wasn't until this thread that I remembered it and took a close picture and can see the age and opening marks on the blade and bolster.

Maybe I lucked out and got a vintage knife? I'm not an expert enough to know for sure.
Is yours a 12cm or a 14cm?
12cm

Looking at it I'm about 99% sure it is one of the reproductions. The blade grind looks too new.

The stag on this has an aged look compared to some of the other newer ones I remember but it seems like some of these little things were assembled with old parts. It also seems like Bernie was somehow involved. He probably will be along sooner or later to set me straight...lol

I have never purposely collected vintage picklock stilettos so besides seeing the pictures and reading the posts I just haven't handled many for more than a few seconds. So I ain't no expert.
METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

I also think it is a newer production knife , the older ones had slightly different blade grind to them . the new and old ones are dam near identical but they do have differences.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I figured you would know.
METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

its been a long time but someone posted picture of both a new one and old one side by side , i have few of the newly made ones in my collection .
METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

if im not mistaken i think you can tell difference between new and old by the handle pins, new ones have preformed head old ones dont .
Jackalope

Post by Jackalope »

Aren't the blades stainless on the repro's?
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

I have several of those with swivel bolsters and they are made old style with rocker button assemblies and the safeties all work well. I think they are still making them because PVK Vegas has had them a couple of times recently. If they made one with a flat-grind blade, I would consider it for EDC.
METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

Jackalope wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:34 pm Aren't the blades stainless on the repro's?
yes that would be another difference besides pins not preformed , stainless blade on repro , carbon steel on original .
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I will take a closer look tomorrow when I get home. Thanks for the tips.

Sorry for hijacking your post, John. I was just trying to add to the discussion when jackolope asked about the mm picklocks. And was stil playing around with the smart phone picture posting.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

whippersnapper wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:14 am I will take a closer look tomorrow when I get home. Thanks for the tips.

Sorry for hijacking your post, John. I was just trying to add to the discussion when jackolope asked about the mm picklocks. And was stil playing around with the smart phone picture posting.
I'm sure John liked his 6 year old post revived. I know I've certainly enjoyed it! :lol: I love all those little picklocks!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Yeah. Back when the forums were popular, every thread would get side tracked. Most of us didn't care because we had active discussions going. We shared thoughts about life, jokes, picked on each other etc. It seemed like a bunch of friends who had rarely met but honestly liked each other (mostly). I miss that shit.
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

whippersnapper wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:17 am Yeah. Back when the forums were popular, every thread would get side tracked. Most of us didn't care because we had active discussions going. We shared thoughts about life, jokes, picked on each other etc. It seemed like a bunch of friends who had rarely met but honestly liked each other (mostly). I miss that shit.
I miss that shit too!
2024 candidate for president
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

sammy the blade wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:10 am
whippersnapper wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:17 am Yeah. Back when the forums were popular, every thread would get side tracked. Most of us didn't care because we had active discussions going. We shared thoughts about life, jokes, picked on each other etc. It seemed like a bunch of friends who had rarely met but honestly liked each other (mostly). I miss that shit.
I miss that shit too!
HELL YA !!! I MISS THAT SHIT TOO !!!
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"