Kissing crane kc49 rostfrei

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
JLLostsoul

Kissing crane kc49 rostfrei

Post by JLLostsoul »

Hi all, just letting you all know I'm new to all this, but I'm after information the kissing crane kc49 rostfrei. I'm trying to find out when and where it was made, and if they are any good?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (103.15 KiB) Viewed 10794 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (100.02 KiB) Viewed 10794 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (105.55 KiB) Viewed 10794 times
john

Re: Kissing crane kc49 rostfrei

Post by john »

Hello and welcome JLLostsoul,
I'm going to take a guess and say it's from the 1980's. It's worth anywhere from 50.00 to an extremely high of 200. It has a wood handle, it's not an exotic wood, it's less expensive than natural materials like horn or antler. Some woods can be as costly as horn or antler. Someone who may need to complete a set of knives may pay more than it's worth like 200. or someone entering the knife collection market may over pay too due to inexperience. It's a very nice knife.
When you have a chance please introduce yourself to the forum. Tell us a little bit about yourself and what type of knives you collect. This is an awesome forum and I hope to see you posting on a regular basis.
Your new friend on the TB forum,
John
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The knife was made in Maniago, Italy. Handle is rosewood (palisander.)
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
JLLostsoul

Post by JLLostsoul »

Thanks for the information, it's told me what I wanted to know. I quite like the style and would like to get more, as time and money permits! What r the new ones out of china like, r they any good?
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

JLLostsoul wrote:Thanks for the information, it's told me what I wanted to know. I quite like the style and would like to get more, as time and money permits! What r the new ones out of china like, r they any good?
Hello, JL:

The newer ones are made in China. Those ones have four digits (they start with 50XX). They are much cheaper than the one you have (even though the people who sell them on Ebay always say "We know you like stilettos but you've never seen one this nice!"...lol).

The two digit ones like yours were made in Italy, as has been mentioned above (made for a German company, hence the "Germany" on the blade). One thing that is cool about yours is that the 13" (#49) seems to be the most rare size.

There are usually a few on Ebay so if you search "Kissing Crane 49" you can watch to see how they do (remember to watch for what people get, not what they ask for).

Btw, with little metal polish, you can make the bolsters look like gold.
JLLostsoul

Post by JLLostsoul »

It's funny, the very first knife I ever bought was a stiletto,some Japanese imitation switchblade thing. It wasn't really a switchblade but I thought it was so cool. It was just for me, and no one else even knew I owned it. Hear I am 25 odd years later and looking at stilettos again!
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

JLLostsoul wrote:Hear I am 25 odd years later and looking at stilettos again!
Lol, that is the exact same thing with virtually everyone here. We all were in love from a young age and spent so long trying to get a switchblade. Now that we are older and have some money, we just want more and more.

I bet if the powers that be back in the day knew how much our younger selves wanted switchblades, they would have put our names on some sort of a "keep an eye on this kid" list.
JLLostsoul

Post by JLLostsoul »

Unfortunately, automatic knives are banned in Australia. A couple of years back they also tightened restrictions on knives to include double edged knives and daggers, any folding knife that can be opened one handed, and throwing blades. Knowing the government there are probably more restrictions that I don't know about as well! It takes a lot of the fun out of things!
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

JLLostsoul wrote:Unfortunately, automatic knives are banned in Australia. A couple of years back they also tightened restrictions on knives to include double edged knives and daggers, any folding knife that can be opened one handed, and throwing blades. Knowing the government there are probably more restrictions that I don't know about as well!
We've got some Down-Under members here. They have a little (well, much) tougher time getting them but, when there is a will, there is a way. Keep in mind that they are basically illegal everywhere but the collecting goes on. Some people in the more restricted places have the blade separated from the handle and shipped separately. I don't know if they would confiscate a blade (sans handle) based on it's shape.

It takes a lot of the fun out of things!
I disagree with that. I feel that The Man telling me I can't have one is what makes them so awesome. That was certainly the main reason for their mystique when I was a kid.

The harder to get a collectable is, the more collectable it is (not to mention rewarding). I just don't think I would love my latest piece nearly as much if I had gotten it at Wal-Mart with a gallon of milk and new socks.
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

JimBrown257 wrote: I feel that The Man telling me I can't have one is what makes them so awesome. That was certainly the main reason for their mystique when I was a kid.

The harder to get a collectable is, the more collectable it is (not to mention rewarding). I just don't think I would love my latest piece nearly as much if I had gotten it at Wal-Mart with a gallon of milk and new socks.
EXACTAMUNDO!
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
JLLostsoul

Post by JLLostsoul »

That's the thing!it difficult to find this stuff in Australia.what got me interested in kissing crane stilettos was I saw 2 in 2 different shops,both Chinese made versions. That's when I started doing some research. Long story short, it was cheaper to buy the kc49 overseas and pay postage to Brisbane, than to buy a Chinese one in Brisbane!
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

JLLostsoul wrote:That's the thing!it difficult to find this stuff in Australia.what got me interested in kissing crane stilettos was I saw 2 in 2 different shops,both Chinese made versions. That's when I started doing some research. Long story short, it was cheaper to buy the kc49 overseas and pay postage to Brisbane, than to buy a Chinese one in Brisbane!
When you have stuff sent to you from other countries, how often has customs looked inside the package.
JLLostsoul

Post by JLLostsoul »

Over what period of years were the pre-Chinese stilettos made, and how do you tell the difference because I've noticed some different etchings and stamps on the blades? I'm interested in getting more of the pre-Chinese stilettos and it would be nice to have some idea of what I'm looking at!
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Look for the two digit ones that say "Germany" on the blade. Those are the good, Italian made ones. And, of course, if you have any question about it, you can post a pic or a link of it here to be sure. If you are in a hurry, you can send me a PM.

And if the seller doesn't give the length in the description, here they are:

46 = 7"
47 = 8"
48 = 9"
49 =13"
45 = 14.75"

If you're wondering why they start over at the end like that, my only guess is that they didn't want to crack 50.
JLLostsoul

Post by JLLostsoul »

JimBrown257 wrote:
JLLostsoul wrote:That's the thing!it difficult to find this stuff in Australia.what got me interested in kissing crane stilettos was I saw 2 in 2 different shops,both Chinese made versions. That's when I started doing some research. Long story short, it was cheaper to buy the kc49 overseas and pay postage to Brisbane, than to buy a Chinese one in Brisbane!
When you have stuff sent to you from other countries, how often has customs looked inside the package.

I haven't really imported much, only 1fixed blade and this kc49 that I'm waiting on at the moment. I've tended to shy away from importing blades until now, but it's so hard to find this stuff in Australia! The fixed blade was a little bear claw that I've always wanted.