WANDY Switchblade?

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
gfhoward

WANDY Switchblade?

Post by gfhoward »

I have an old rather large switchblade stamped "Wandy" with what appears to be wood scales. Can you folks tell me what you know about this maker's mark, where I might get more info on it, and a range of what it could be worth? thanks
mr_edge

Post by mr_edge »

Do you have a digital camera? Condition is quite relevant in establishing value. I believe Wandy was a stamp used by Rosco. Rosco (George Rose Company of California) was an importer of italian and german knives in the 50's/60's. Does the bolster on your knife swivel to close the blade? Any Wandy stamped knives that I have seen were transitional stilettos.
Last edited by mr_edge on Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
magnum

Post by magnum »

Hi maybe i can help you a little.Mauro Mario produced the knives marked with the Wandy stamp.Mauro Mario was the largest producer of Switchblades in the old days in Maniago,Italy.As for how much it is worth it all depends on the shape it is in and how much a person is willing to pay for it.Maybe our resident expert Bill DeShivs can shed some more light on the subject for you.Do you have any pictures you could post of the knife that would help alot.

magnum
Knife Addiction??What Knife Addiction??
mr_edge

Post by mr_edge »

Hmmm....perhaps I have my info wrong, but I could swear Rosco used the wandy stamp.
mr_edge

Post by mr_edge »

I see my confusion Magnum. I recalled a thread on another forum where Bill mentioned seeing a Wandy listed in a Rosco Catalogue. The thread also mentioned that Mauro Mario likely produced them. Incidentally, the Wandy that Bill mentioned was a picklock.
gfhoward

Post by gfhoward »

OK here are some pics. It is 13 inches, and it fires hard. Has a broken area on the backside. Please let m eknow what you think it is worth. More pictures available here: http://www.pbase.com/balisong/wandy

Image[/url]
magnum

Post by magnum »

Thanks for the pics that helps alot.It has Horn Handles not wood sometimes horn when it dries out can appear to look like wood.It is from the 1960's the Swedge blade is the giveaway and is a swivel bolster.In my opinion and in the current condition of the knife i would say it's worth no more than maybe $125.00 at the most.But that's just my opinion someone else may be a better judge on this knife than me and chime in with an answer for you.

magnum
magnum

Post by magnum »

mr_edge wrote:I see my confusion Magnum. I recalled a thread on another forum where Bill mentioned seeing a Wandy listed in a Rosco Catalogue. The thread also mentioned that Mauro Mario likely produced them. Incidentally, the Wandy that Bill mentioned was a picklock.
Switchblades Of Italy states that the Wandy and Rosco stamp were used by Mauro Mario and those knives with those stamps were produced by Mauro Mario.Do you remember that thread and was there a picture i would like to see a Wandy picklock 8)

magnum
mr_edge

Post by mr_edge »

There is no pic of it Magnum. Thanks for clearing up the confusion.
magnum

Post by magnum »

mr_edge wrote:There is no pic of it Magnum. Thanks for clearing up the confusion.
Okay Thanks for the info :D

magnum
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The knife pictured here is worth no more than any modern, stainless bolstered stiletto. The Wandy stamp was used for a long time.
The confusion over the name comes from a 1950s Rosco catalog. It shows a picklock with the Wandy stamping. The Rosco knives were made by Mauro Mario. Perhaps this was a sample that was used for the picture, as the Ross Co. used the Rosco stamp. The Wandy picture in the catalog is a mystery.
Bill
ethanw

Re: WANDY Switchblade?

Post by ethanw »

Wow, this is an old post. I have a similar knife, a 13" switchblade marked Wandy. Mine has buffalo horn grips and a thick backspring and blade, nickel bolsters. I would take it over many other vintage switches I have seen, and the recent SKM/Beltrame stuff does not even come close to comparing to my Wandy.

Ethan
METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

ethanw wrote:Wow, this is an old post. I have a similar knife, a 13" switchblade marked Wandy. Mine has buffalo horn grips and a thick backspring and blade, nickel bolsters. I would take it over many other vintage switches I have seen, and the recent SKM/Beltrame stuff does not even come close to comparing to my Wandy.

Ethan
there are 2 different versions of the 13" Wandy stiletto's , the older more desireable ones have thick blade/backsprings , D-stamped liners, nickel/silver bolsters button and safety, slip in type 2 piece spring/backspring, most had swedge style blades. this is the most valuable of the 2 versions IMO...

the 2nd style had the new style button / safety set up (not D-stamped) which made button and safety closer to top bolster, had a thiner backspring than earlier models ,stainless bolsters button and safety, 1 piece spring/backspring . 2nd style looks like modern produced stilettos but alot more valuable due to time frame it was made sometime in 1960's .
ethanw

Post by ethanw »

Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll post a pic of mine if I get a chance. I've had it since I was 15,some 30 years ago, and it looked somewhat old then.
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Hello everyone. Hope you are all having grand soft evening. Storming like buckets Here. BUT, to my question. I have an 11" MM WANDY in NM to excellent condition. 60-70s. I have some one interested in buying it and would like to know a fair price. Swivel bolster, swedge blade, 11". Black Horn scales. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry, I haven't figured out how to send pics.😕