Maxam knives

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!

Are maxam knives good quality?

Nope
85%
Yup
15%

Total votes: 13

Claudester

Post by Claudester »

rapidboy1 wrote:"monkey metal"

As Vagrant has already pointed out "The price should tell you everything you need to know "
Yah, Yah, See, I know a lot of people that don't collect Italian stilettos and can't afford to pay $30.00 to $100.00 for a blade. They are Happy to pay the $8.00 to $10.00 I get for these. What do you do with your $200.00 blade? I know you don't use them as a work knife.
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The one shown looks like it the Xing series.
I voted yes based on the fact that you seem to get a fairly good cost/quality ratio when compaaired to other "cheapos". They may not be great but they are quite low priced. As "wall hangers" to impress the uninitiated they are a bargain :wink:
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Claudester wrote:

As Vagrant has already pointed out "The price should tell you everything you need to know "
What do you do with your $200.00 blade? I know you don't use them as a work knife.
As a matter of fact I do :lol: My heirs will hate me :evil: I will enjoy this life and live it for myself not whoever inherits my stuff once I'm dead. Assorted gun dealers, experts, and others cringe at the way I use MY stuff. Frequently someone will ask "Don't you know you should keep that mint"? My answer is always "For WHO" :?: :wink: About the only "Mint" item I own is a Hubie Krupp aniversary LL, I have a second one that has been USED very hard :!:
rapidboy1

Post by rapidboy1 »

Mr C, this was not a response to your post or pic's.
I was responding to Blackjacks question.
blackjack wrote:Interesting looking knives, (I know, I know), whats wrong with them, poor materials and workmanship?
blackjack
Both your post and mine where made at the same time ,i was not referring to your knife but to the one i have had experience with ,(a fixed blade - the blade bent in use when chopping wood on a camping trip).

As for $200.00 knives ,i believe knives are for using and i like to use all my blades at some point.
I have not at this time spent $200.00 on a blade because i don't collect "case queens" (my max is usually around $150.00) .

I do buy cheaper knives as tools and give them a hard time every day at work.

Cheers
RB
pashley

Post by pashley »

Am I missing something here....

What is wrong with having a really nice knife and not wanting to use it too hard in case of damage? For instance my grandfather gave me a knife which I spent a lot of time on to restore it, I really dont want to take this knife out with me and bend it chopping up some wood. I want to keep it nice to hand to my boy when he is of age and maybe he will look after it too.
This knife started off my collection... which is exactly what I'm looking for, a knife to restore and gain pleasure from handling it and some light use. I have a few knives which I use hard regulary for work as these are essential but I see no problem with paying a lot of money for a knife and not using it, just mearly admiring it for it's quality and deadly beauty.

Anyway... that's just my opinion!

do you see any of those original 1918 trench knives for sale these days??

Kev.
rapidboy1

Post by rapidboy1 »

pashley wrote:do you see any of those original 1918 trench knives for sale these days??
I have been searching around and apart from a few repo's.... no luck.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Once you pay your money you can do what you want with your purchase :D If you want to hang it on the wall and just LOOK at it, it's your business. If you want to USE it, it's your business. If you let others decide for you the next obvious step is to let them choose the item for you :wink:
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Guys I don't mean to sound like a big spender here cause I'm not. But a good custom well balanced FB in D-2 hunter not tactical pattern in the $200 range to be used and used hard is not in the year 2004 a big investment but a wise one. 8 to 10 years ago it would seem steep but today with factory knives costing in some cases more then $200 it doesn't really seem out of line. And don't any of you knuckleheads tell me "Well Mr Moneybags good you can afford it I can't" you guys most likely spend that if not more on switches so don't cry poor mouth to me cause if that was really the case this forum would be empty cause no one has any money :wink: One example of some of the finest FB's in D-2 with most under $200 is Bob Dozier.That is a man who knows what its all about.
PB
Pashly I was addressing Rapidboys post.
Last edited by Pushbutton on Sun Apr 04, 2004 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pashley

Post by pashley »

huh???
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

they can make good wall hangers and paper weights, and if you can get a uber cheap price, you might like it, but for edge holding, it just aint gonna make anyone happy. My opinion, for what its worth.
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

i would have to agree with the opinion that 90% of the time, you get what you pay for...i'm a firm believer in this, but as no doubt someone will point out the numerous exceptions...
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Maybe that knife in your Avatar. I just can't make out that tang stamp.Must be my tired old eyes but I do know someone who could look at that stamp in a heartbeat and tell you all about. But at present time his name eludes me. Mr Bigg Keep your wood scaled 15" out of it cause it doesn't float my boat I was thinking more like Horn.
PB
eXtremeKier84

Re:

Post by eXtremeKier84 »

Pushbutton wrote:That knife has United Cutlery written all over it. A fine specimen from China.
PB
sorry to say but I doubt china's quality product. They faking all kinds of things and product.
Man is a gaming animal. He must always be trying to get the better in something or other.
fantasy knife
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Re: Maxam knives

Post by Vagrant »

Newbs SHOULD read forum rules and make their first post in TalkBlade Revealed + Mix
They should also avoid digging up threads that are YEARS OLD :roll:
Other than that - welcome :wink:
Chrisadamley

Re: Maxam knives

Post by Chrisadamley »

that knife posted first...they sell that or used to sell that at walmart.

For 8 dollars, i will say its a good knife. And when i was 14 ya thats a heck of a deal!

Now, still for 8 dollars it might be worth it.....but i wouldn't buy one. The steel used in those knives are HORRIBLE. just horrible. I wouldn't pay 5 bucks for that knife now.

its a good walmart knife for people that know nothing about knives.