Conpendium of Makers Marks Book Form or Internet & New Member intro

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Rich M

Conpendium of Makers Marks Book Form or Internet & New Member intro

Post by Rich M »

Long time fan of auto knives but $ got tied up collecting old Harleys and WWII militaria.

Getting up there in years so my militaria collecting and old bike riding & building is in it's sunset years. I 1st saw an auto knife, my Sicilian bro in law had it and I was about 10 or 12 or so. Fantastic blade and always wanted one.

Well, here I am trying to discover what original blade makers proof marks are and look like.

Collecting 1930's through 1945 Solingen produced blades there were few without makers marks and those that had them had images published in collectors books. Back then the makers marks were acid etched and easy to understand that finger print.

Today, replicators use laser and if you've studied acid etched versus laser you've set yourself up for not being taken in by an expensive reproduction.

Is there a source for images and information for review of makers marks to better understand old world, new world and reproducers attempt to copy?

Thank you in advance for any light that can be shared!

Rich M