Your favorite apple/pear peeler question

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Sam Hotton

Your favorite apple/pear peeler question

Post by Sam Hotton »

Good morning all,

For peeling apples or pears;

I would like to know what is YOUR Favorite;

1. Style, shape, length and material of blade?

2. Which pocket knife do you have, with the blade in question (1)?

Remember that the question is about a pocket knife for peeling apples or pears. No other uses.

I will post my answers a little later in the thread.
Sam
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

I usually just use a kitchen knife.

But I have a nice fruit knife that IF I carried it would work great and I have used it a coupla times.
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
Straydog 5247

Post by Straydog 5247 »

Ive got a G.I. issue , electriction knife I use on apples & pears , oranges too ! it's one of my many EDC's, the blade's nasty tho ! :wink:
mr_edge

Post by mr_edge »

Potatoe Peeler.
Doc Rocket

final word

Post by Doc Rocket »

Wife..............
I love my country...
It's the #*# goverment...
JAGMAN

Post by JAGMAN »

Case cheatah in abelone, sharp and too pretty for anything harder than a Granny Smith.
Jagman
right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think
I've forgotten this before.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

The truth is that my response is the same as mr_edge; potato peeler. I just wish that I could honestly make the same claim as Doc Rocket :D

Jim
Claudester

Post by Claudester »

I never seen anyone peel either a apple or a pear to eat. The skin on a pear is soft and by removing the skins you loose a lot of the vitamins unless my Ma was lying to me all those years. The only gadget I use sometimes is one of those apple slicers that splits the apple in about 8 pieces and I dip the pieces in caramel, but the skins stay on.
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson
Sam Hotton

Post by Sam Hotton »

Thanks for the great replies guys, they have been most intrigueing. I have never thought of using a potato peeler for apples, I will try it. As for the Abalone Cheetah, I'd be afraid of getting juice in the mechanism, thats a rare beauty.
To me, the act of peeling an apple with the right knife is as much pleasure as the eating of the apple. With the wrong blade style, shape or grind, the peel comes off in pieces or chunks and it becomes an ordeal. When you have a blade of the correct configuration, you can remove the peel in one thin spiral, beautifully even and unbroken from start to finish. Contest are even held in many areas for the longest unbroken peel.
With my day to day uses of a knife, most are out of the pocket, cut or scrape the task at hand and back in the pocket goes the knife. No artistry in that, little of actually being at one with the knife. No feeling of the heft and balance or the effects of changing ones grip or pressure. I do not whittle or carve, so other than the quick cut or scrape or fiddle with it out of boredom, I know very little of its performance. With the act of peeling I have to concentrate, watch what I'm doing an feel the knife and guide it. And when I'm done I can admire the great job I've done and have a treat to eat.
The best pocket knife I have used to date for peeling apples is the Schrade old timer stockman in carbon steel. It has a 2 3/8" clip point and is 5 7/8" overall, model 340 T. You have to wipe the blade clean as it will stain. I find that somewhere between 17 and 20 degrees edge works best.
If you havn't peeled a apple with a pocket knife, give it a try, its lots of fun and you can learn much about your knife and blade.
Thanks,
Sam
missaman

Post by missaman »

Sam,
The Ex had this weird contraption that clamped to the counter top and had a hand crank with a floating blade that automaticaly went from end to end of the fruit while turning it and peeled them :roll:
It probably cost me 60.00 LOL
Missaman
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

missaman wrote:Sam,
The Ex had this weird contraption that clamped to the counter top and had a hand crank with a floating blade that automaticaly went from end to end of the fruit while turning it and peeled them :roll:
It probably cost me 60.00 LOL
Missaman
A classic design, you can find those from the 1800s at antique shops. I believe they still make them. I'll bet the ex took it with her!
missaman

Post by missaman »

Mr. Vagrent,
She took lots of things with her, but it was a small price to pay. :lol:
Missaman
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

must be a canadian thing - my wife won't let me in the kitchen so i really don't know how the spuds get skinless 8)
however i have found myself peeling and slicing oranges with my new BM310...does a hell of a job :D
i'm with you on the apples and pears mr claudester - no need to peel!
stepdaddy

Post by stepdaddy »

Potatoe Peeler.
Same here and a tablespoon for oranges, old trick granny taught me.
I also have an old lead crystal Fruit and Cake knife that I never used cause it looks cool.

SD
busbusci

Re: Your favorite apple/pear peeler question

Post by busbusci »

I bought the Spiralizer Apple Peeler couple months ago after reading several guides and have used ever since then. This thing works great! It took me 1-2 minutes to peel, core, slice 5 large apples. My only complaint is that it won't stay suctioned on.

Here the link to the article
https://eatrbox.com/best-apple-peeler/