Information on retractable shield knives?

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
semze

Information on retractable shield knives?

Post by semze »

Was directed here from another site when I asked for some info earlier. I found a knife with a retractable shield that has "Black Dagger" and YUIL 1985 on it. Just wondering if there's more information out there about the knives in general? I've found a few similar knives on this board but they've only been for sale, and while I'm getting that they were likely around in the 80s, I can't actually find them anywhere else. The blade is only sharp on one side and pretty indistinguishable from the blade in a regular pocket knife

https://i.imgur.com/aucJSVD.mp4
sammy the blade

Re: Information on retractable shield knives?

Post by sammy the blade »

I had one years ago that I gave away years ago. The shield retracts instead of the blade. Possibly of some collector value but I couldn't say how much it would be worth.
2024 candidate for president
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

sammy the blade wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:39 pm...The shield retracts instead of the blade...
Looks to me like a common double acting knife along the lines of a Lightning. How does the shield retract while the blade is extended? What am I missing?
sammy the blade

The shield good back into the handel. Back when I had one switchalades were very hard to find and it was before web access wasn't so easily accessible. Anymore just about all the phones have access to the net. I had that knife before I'd ever seen an otf that are just like it.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

natcherly wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:26 am
sammy the blade wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:39 pm...The shield retracts instead of the blade...
Looks to me like a common double acting knife along the lines of a Lightning. How does the shield retract while the blade is extended? What am I missing?
The blade is stationary. The sheath retracts.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
sammy the blade

Bingo!
semze

Post by semze »

natcherly wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:26 am
I posted the link to a video that also shows the shield retracting https://i.imgur.com/aucJSVD.mp4
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Well that is a new one on me. So the blade never retracts; there is only the "shield" that covers the blade. I don't really see the purpose of such a design. I guess you could say the knife has a built-in sheath, which unfortunately does not provide for attaching to a belt or anything. Weird.

Thanks for the video. Worth many 1000's of words....
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Yes it is a FIXED blade with a retractable sheath. They sold for under $10 back in the 1980s and didn't sell too well so they were not around for long. Hard to put a value on them today as a collector may pay far more than what they are really worth.
sammy the blade

I can't say I wish I would have kept it.