ArtesaniaHerreros - Greetings from Spain!

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
ArtesaniaHerreros

ArtesaniaHerreros - Greetings from Spain!

Post by ArtesaniaHerreros »

Good day guys!

My name is José Antonio Herreros. I am a knife and pocket knives artisan from Spain.

It has been more than 44 years when I started making my own knives (when I was 13 years old) and today I can proudly name myself as an "amateur" (every day you learn something new) artisan. I have been working with the most famous and finest cutlery brands from Spain, thanks to that, I have been awarded with the most important titles inside the Spanish handmade cutlery.

Recently, I decided to make my own webpage http://www.artesaniaherreros.es/en/ since the Spanish handmade cutlery is disappearing. Sadly, I have to start from cero since I have no photos (or the ones I have are really old) of my oldest creations, but, I try to keep the webpage updated with more products (with quality photos), videos, etc. so one day I could proudly look at it as my own catalogue.

I have attached you a few photos of my latest products, they are just a little glimpse of my daily work, but I hope you like it.

Thanks a lot to everyone who told me on facebook about this marvelous forum, and thanks everyone for letting me part of this awesome community!

Greetings from Spain - José Antonio Herreros, Knives and folding knives artisan from Spain.

You can visit my website on https://artesaniaherreros.es/en/.
sammy the blade

Re: ArtesaniaHerreros - Greetings from Spain!

Post by sammy the blade »

Nice work, welcome to talkblade.
2024 candidate for president
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Jose

Welcome to talkblade.

It's great to have a knifemaker join at anytime and to have them show work from different countries.It shows people just what's out there in design and quality from around the world.

I absolutely love the Spanish knives you have made and would be proud to have any in my knife collection .Beautiful work and each a real great user knife 8)

I have been looking at the older Spanish knives but they always fetch a lot of money as they are beautifully handmade.and often unique pieces

I know you probably aren't allowed to make switchblades in Spain nowadays but I would also love any of the knives you have shown here made into a switchblade.I am sure others would agree.

Thanks for sharing your beautiful work with us ,great to have you here

gravknife
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Jose
By the way ... On the first picture
What is the end tube that conceals the blade tip made of ?
Is it difficult to make?
I have an old Spanish knife like your example that needs one and I am struggling to find one for it .

Thanks

Ian
Attachments
1491407033013-1591487970.jpg
1491407033013-1591487970.jpg (998.45 KiB) Viewed 3472 times
ArtesaniaHerreros

sammy the blade wrote:Nice work, welcome to talkblade.
Thank you Sammy!
gravknife wrote:Jose

Welcome to talkblade.

It's great to have a knifemaker join at anytime and to have them show work from different countries.It shows people just what's out there in design and quality from around the world.

I absolutely love the Spanish knives you have made and would be proud to have any in my knife collection .Beautiful work and each a real great user knife 8)

I have been looking at the older Spanish knives but they always fetch a lot of money as they are beautifully handmade.and often unique pieces

I know you probably aren't allowed to make switchblades in Spain nowadays but I would also love any of the knives you have shown here made into a switchblade.I am sure others would agree.

Thanks for sharing your beautiful work with us ,great to have you here

gravknife

Dear Gravknife, on the first place thanks for you kind words and your warn welcome!

Regarding your question, you are totally right, we are not allowed to manufacture switchblades, or at least not anymore, it is a concealed weapon and it is banned 100%. Even if I mamage to manufacture one, once I ship it my parcel got scanned by our National Post service employees and the Civil Guard, so if they detect any kind of irregularity they will hold it forever.

I have heard there's a Italian maker that sells classic switchblades separately, the switchblade from one side, the blade from another and the spring in another separate parcel. I haven't tried that myself but I am 100% sure it won't work for me haha.

If any day I manage to manufacture one you will be the one to see it! it's a great idea and I will study it!
By the way ... On the first picture
What is the end tube that conceals the blade tip made of ?
Is it difficult to make?
I have an old Spanish knife like your example that needs one and I am struggling to find one for it .

Thanks

Ian
Regarding the second question, it's called "rebajo" in Spanish, the most accurated translation is "lower bolster". The ones on the image are made of brass, handmade and manually hammered with a lot of caution and precision. It's a hard process that has to be made carefully.

I will upload a tutorial to youtube showing how a classic Spanish folding knife is made, but it will take time I afraid. Meanwhile, on the following video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9zFTYi_nmo you could how the rebajo looks like (it's the same folding knife but this one is made from polished deer stag antler).

My advise for you is to purchase some brass plate, cut it and adjust it to your folding knife, then using a hammer round it carefully. It's a delicate process but I think you will figure out how to make a decent one on a few tries!

P.S: stunning collection you got there mate!
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Jose

Thanks for the advice and help my freind.I will fix it one day as I love the shape and style of these Spanish knives.
I will also take a look at your links shortly.

Once again its great to have you here and I will really look forward to taking a proper look at your website .There are some great people here who also make knives like yourself and many great knives for you to take a look at .

All the best from England

Ian
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

WELCOME FROM MASS !!!
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Hello and welcome!
ArtesaniaHerreros

Thanks for the advice and help my freind.I will fix it one day as I love the shape and style of these Spanish knives.
I will also take a look at your links shortly.

Once again its great to have you here and I will really look forward to taking a proper look at your website .There are some great people here who also make knives like yourself and many great knives for you to take a look at .

All the best from England

Ian
Thank you Ian! I have looking around and there are some stunning works! really well made knives and folding knives which I can only dream with!

If you need help anytime just let me know!

Best from Spain!
whippersnapper wrote:Hello and welcome!
Thanks Tryker :)!
whippersnapper wrote:Hello and welcome!
Thanks man!!