Someone tell me about this one

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
BennytheBlade

Someone tell me about this one

Post by BennytheBlade »

http://bladeauction.com/cgi-bin/osa/Vie ... ber=720229
I dont think Ive seen anything like it before.
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Benny
It's a Corscican/Sicilian style version of a switch that doesn't switch.These tend to get used much more then switches and not for opening mail or packages. I think Vendettas were fixed but maybe not. I see alot of those on Italian sites and they are cool. Most are lockless. More of a clasp type. I really should get one they go with the collection. That one is new and at $180 seems steep for new. Do a google on Vendetta knives and take it from there. This one seems a tad overpriced for what it is.
PB
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

that guy has a lot more on his site, ....PB check this out http://www.knivescollection.com/catalog ... ltello=136
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Yeah I did Mr Bigg
Check out worldofweapons .com I think they have all that shit there but the prices are high.
PB
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

what the heck are the 2 humps on the rear bolster?
are they decorative or do they serve a function?
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

i think they are decorative.....cool looking knives, but yeah a bit pricey without the "click-snap" :lol:
Nifmakr

Post by Nifmakr »

Supposedly, the actual "vendetta" knives couldn't be closed after opening and the blades, near the bolster, were fileworked so as to make it easy to break off once you plunged it to depth. This is where the term "break-one-off-in-you" came from. Just a little history passed on to me by an old "Salt" who was stationed in Italy for several years.

He said the reason for not being able to close it, was once you started a vendetta, you didn't stop until you finished it or they finished you.

You were only supposed to use it for the vendetta you bought it for and that's the reason for the breakable blade. Or so he said. :roll:

Steve
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Steve
Interesting story. I hear those knives have a lot of history and unfourtunatley I am not up on that area of expertice as I am not up on my spelling either.
Thanks
PB
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

quote="Pushbutton"]Yeah I did Mr Bigg
Check out worldofweapons .com I think they have all that shit there but the prices are high.
PB[/quote]
Did I find the wrong world of weapons? Just fine items from asia, that any drugstore Ninja would treasure. No scarce, old, euro-cutlery or I'm doing something wrong and not finding the good stuff.
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Al
It must be me I'll try and find it.This site features all sorts of Italian and Spanish knives. I'll post it when I find it for you.
PB
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

al i was wondering the same thing myself :?
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Pushbutton wrote:Al
It must be me I'll try and find it.This site features all sorts of Italian and Spanish knives. I'll post it when I find it for you.
PB
Thank you. [I can only "afford" to look but I love doing that] :)
Mors Profundis

Post by Mors Profundis »

That story sounds a little suspect to me.
Knowing a few Corsicans, if they could only use one knife to a vendetta, a lot of them would be carrying half a dozen at a time-they hold grudges worse than us Irish.
That flat top on the end of the backspring looks like it might be a picklock, or at least the vestige of one, and could easily have spawned the legend of the knife you couldn't close(remember my mention of the 'iron palm' stiletto?).
As to filework to help break it off, what about having it snap off during your showdown with the poor schmuck who blew his nose while standing in your second cousin's shadow, or broke wind while your mother was in church?
That might be inconvenient indeed, leading to your being beaten to a pulp with a dung-fork, and three thousand deaths on the island of Corsica, in the ensuing vendettas.
Eschew the ways of violence, they only bring sorrow.
(English translation; Piss me off, die by inches!)
Life has no value, but death has it's price
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Mors Profundus wrote: Eschew the ways of violence, they only bring sorrow.
(English translation; Piss me off, die by inches!)
LMAO
My Father told me the family moto [translated from Gaelic] Was "wimps get even - we get revenge.
Milu

Post by Milu »

If the knife locks at all I think it would be a type of lockback using the tabs on the end.
Typically Sicilian or Roman knives had a ring to pull up the lock. Some had a lever on the handle (sistema francese/French method) to lift it. This was possibly an ancestor to the rotating bolster.
"se me burlé, me fico un cento e vinti in tel stomego"
Goldoni: La donna di Garbo, 1753