Spyderco, Cold Steel, Benchmade

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

I told you I'm not a CS fan. I would go BM.
PB
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

i know there are a lot of big benchmade fans...but i'd go with a microtech over a benchmade :lol: and a spyderco over a cold steel....
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Mr Bigg
I'm sorry but did I miss where MT was even mentioned ? :P
PB
Mr_Guano

Post by Mr_Guano »

kct6 wrote:...don't want one that the tip will be easy to snap off...
Hmm, I've got this BM 940 Osborne with reversed tanto (or upside down or whatever ya call it) that looks like it's never gonna snap.
Almost sheepsfoot (sheepsplit?!?? deepshit?) kinda blade.

I think it's a looker as well as practical and shaving sharp (actually every attempt to shave resulted in bleeding cuts, so it's more than shaving sharp).

but... one of the omega springs of the axis lock broke within two weeks...
didn't wanna send it all the way back to the states, so I 'fixed' it with guitar string (AND voided the warranty).
Anyway, after the quick fix it's good as new.

Don't remember the price on that one, but I got it from PVK.

it's actually my preferred EDC nowadays.

take care,
Mr_G
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

If your looking for an EDC utility type knife for less than 50 bucks... hmmm... I would probably pick an italian leverlock offa Bladeauction from Stu or someone of the good ones list. but between CS, benchmade and spyderco... for the money I would probably get a CS pro lite or a Ti LIte.
no worries if you lose or abuse it and made well enough to be reliable. BM and spydies are probably better, but cost ya more for it.

Geez, they got a specwar for 90 bucks?!?!?
kct6

Post by kct6 »

Please Don't Hate Me!!! What is the deal with auto knifes could someone explain Thanks :oops:
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

No hate here, but could you be more specific?
What do you want to know about auto knifes? Someone here has an answer Im sure (Now whether its the RIGHT answer is debateable :wink: )
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

kct6 wrote:Please Don't Hate Me!!! What is the deal with auto knifes could someone explain Thanks :oops:
Laws vary from state to state.
They are [very] available.
They are convenient.
They are FUN.
For more specific questions PM one of us.
For questions on Iralian Switches this is very helpful:
http://www.skm.to/bin/skm.cgi/help/m/de ... 6617350151
kct6

Post by kct6 »

Is Boker Knives any good?
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

kct6 wrote:Is Boker Knives any good?
yes - boker make quality knives, but there are many types. if it's an auto boker you are after - look for a "speedlock" which is bokers only "factory" auto...any others you see out there, and there are many, are auto conversions - meaning they have been converted to auto by someone aftermarket. a good way to tell is the presence of a nail nick in the blade - if it has one, it's a converted "top lock". i have had several of the german made "speedlocks" and they are well made knives, but feel very lightweight and much smaller than many auto's out there.

i see you have found PVK knives...well there are a lot of knives to look at on his site - shop around - take your time - but don't worry cause once you have the bug - you will want to buy one of every kind! this is a nice goal for any knife collector :D
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I'd go with the "Trail Guide" as far as Cold Steel is concerned but I have a fetish for carbon steel even if it does rust and stain.
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

i had one of the medium trail guide's it was a nice knife - carbonV blade - good price...but like it's been mentioned already, look around - don't rush - you'll find a good deal - and educate yourself at the same time!
kct6

Post by kct6 »

I like the way you look at things mrbigg. Thats the reason I started this topic so I would not go out and buy a POS knife and be disapointed with it. Everyone has been a real help to me and for that I say thanks to all.

Some forums you go to "NOT AT TALK BLADE" you might ask a question and ppl will have a couple of pages slamming you. I will admit im not educated when it comes to knives but one day I will be with the help from ya'll. Once again everyone has been kind and made me feel welcomed.

Still I'm not sure which one I will go with taking my time like mrbigg said. But when I do choose one I will be confedent and happy with my choice knowing it will last a lifetime.
:wink: :wink:
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

I think youll fit in here just fine.
Let us know what ya get. :D
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

KCT6
You have found the true hardcore here for misspent youth. The other knife forums slam you because they think Tony Marifone invented the swithblade and no nothing of it's history that is why you will find refuges like this for those that appreciate all spring steel but more so the Italian type.
PB