Holiday Delay in Shipping Causing MUCHO Distress!

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Cooter

Holiday Delay in Shipping Causing MUCHO Distress!

Post by Cooter »

Have been waiting about 2 weeks for a package that was shipped from the Ontario area to arrive. Supposed to arrive in 5 days...haven't seen hide nor hair of it. Check the Canadian postal website to track it and it just says it arrived in-country on the 16th.

What do you guys think? Had long delays like this before?

Am I screwed?
"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

relax cooter - this is fairly normal - especially considering your country's upgrade to "orange" alert...this puts the binders on the whole sytem!

suposedly you can use the same tracking # on USPS site - as they take it once it has cleared customs, but it's never worked for me....

we all have our fingers crossed for ya :wink:
missaman

Post by missaman »

Ya know i had a similar experience with those dam canadians.....
:P :P :P
I'm sure itwill show up :wink:
Missaman
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

...listening to the frightful schnick of my new 11" swinguard helps me to calm down a wee bit. Admiring the snakewood scales and dreaming of Daddy Locos "Burn"! Okay, I'm calm...I'm centered...I have spent a shipload of dollars on knives in just a few months since I found this place! And the wife (god bless her) says, "...soooo, how many knives do you need?". And since I'm the MAN of the house, I say, "So! About that kitchen you want remodeled? Let's talk about THAT!"

Yep, my balls are not my own and I've pandered myself at home depot for the wife. I AM ashamed.
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

Cooter wrote:...listening to the frightful schnick of my new 11" swinguard helps me to calm down a wee bit. Admiring the snakewood scales and dreaming of Daddy Locos "Burn"! Okay, I'm calm...I'm centered...I have spent a shipload of dollars on knives in just a few months since I found this place! And the wife (god bless her) says, "...soooo, how many knives do you need?". And since I'm the MAN of the house, I say, "So! About that kitchen you want remodeled? Let's talk about THAT!"

Yep, my balls are not my own and I've pandered myself at home depot for the wife. I AM ashamed.
don't be ashamed - give her her kitchen - i'm living proof it will pay off :twisted:

i spent $5000+ on my wifes new kitchen, which she nagged me about for 3 years. it's done now, so i should be good for about $5000 worth of knives :wink: :lol:

here is a pic - this kitchen nearly broke my back - and wallet!
concrete countertops with stainless trim - new heated tile floor - all new cabinets/microwave - real slate backsplash....the list goes on...

PS: i did all the work myself - poured the countertops, built the cabinets - layed the tile....that's why it only cost $5000 8) ....so has anyone spotted the butterfly knife?
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Holy Balisong Batman! That's REALLY nice! I'm NOT going to let my wife see the pic though or she'll have me buying you a ticket to San Diego and she'll start nagging you...hmm, we may be onto something here!

Excellent work, I'm truly impressed, it looks nice as hell.
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

Hey Cooter; Things are tough all over, my last order from the states was nabbed by MCM, ( I think it was nabbed, it never arrived here). Hope the same hasnt happened to you. :evil:
blackjack[/code]
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

mrbigg,

I think that I see it left of the vase. You mentioned heated tile floors. This is new to me. We don't have these in N.C. How do they work, electrical resistance? Nice handiwork on the kitchen, I couldn't have done it.

Jim
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

good eye jim! :lol:

the heated tile floors are relatively new technology - it's gaining popularity up here in the great white north. ever stepped on a cold tile floor? well this stuff is a constant 74deg. and because the heat radiates from the lowest part of the room, it's way more efficient than our hot air furnace, so our house seems warmer, but our heating bill has gone down - (more money for knives :twisted: )
anyway check the company out here, http://www.nuheat.com/ this is the lates type of it - very thin matt of wires you lay down under the tiles - runs on very low voltage - very cool stuff - if you spill water on the floor - no worries - you can watch is evaporate! :lol: in the pic you can see the two controls for it on the wall, one for the kitchen, and one for the adjacent dining room!

thanks to my brother who works in a related biz - we were able to get it relatively cheap - otherwise we couldn't have afforded it!
mr_edge

Post by mr_edge »

Hey Cooter,
Trust me, I feel your pain right now. I think we just need to hang in there a bit, as Mr. Bigg says. I would feel a bit better if the last event on the tracking list wasn't so vague..."arrived in destination country". Is that post or pre C-word? :?
missaman

Post by missaman »

Jim,
Heated floors can also be done via tubes full of hot water, Via a boiler, running under the sub floor with a thermal reflector at the bottom to force the heat up.
Its a very nice system and not limited to ceramic floors. I am unfamiliar
with the electric version.
Thanks for the link Mr. Bigg
Missaman
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

mrbigg wrote:good eye jim! :lol:

the heated tile floors are relatively new technology - it's gaining popularity up here in the great white north. ever stepped on a cold tile floor? well this stuff is a constant 74deg. and because the heat radiates from the lowest part of the room, it's way more efficient than our hot air furnace, so our house seems warmer, but our heating bill has gone down - (more money for knives :twisted: )
anyway check the company out here, http://www.nuheat.com/ this is the lates type of it - very thin matt of wires you lay down under the tiles - runs on very low voltage - very cool stuff - if you spill water on the floor - no worries - you can watch is evaporate! :lol: in the pic you can see the two controls for it on the wall, one for the kitchen, and one for the adjacent dining room!

thanks to my brother who works in a related biz - we were able to get it relatively cheap - otherwise we couldn't have afforded it!
Very interesting [any new technology gets my attention].
Jay

Post by Jay »

Nice looking kitchen!

I have never seen concrete counter tops. Are they popular where you live or was this your own idea?
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Cooter wrote:...listening to the frightful schnick of my new 11" swinguard helps me to calm down a wee bit. Admiring the snakewood scales and dreaming of Daddy Locos "Burn"! Okay, I'm calm...I'm centered...I have spent a shipload of dollars on knives in just a few months since I found this place! And the wife (god bless her) says, "...soooo, how many knives do you need?". And since I'm the MAN of the house, I say, "So! About that kitchen you want remodeled? Let's talk about THAT!"

NEVER be ashamed if it worked!!!!!!! [Just reserve one little spot in the new kitchen for a Blowgun Target] :lol:
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

Jay wrote:Nice looking kitchen!

I have never seen concrete counter tops. Are they popular where you live or was this your own idea?
well it's not new, just unique - yeah my buddy manages a bigass rona store up here and saw it done there on a demo - so we both tried it at home and it is awesome! my father in law custom fitted an 1/8" thick band of stainless around every edge. basically after we buuilt and installed the lower cabinets, we formed in the top with plywood and the stainless, threw in some chicken wire (canadian rebar :wink: ) and brought in the cement from a mixer on my deck 5 gallons ata time!

3 of us did it in a couple hours, and i spent a few more troweling it to the desired smoothness. we modeled ours after a sidewalk...some people go super smooth and add colors to the cement.

mr missaman - that underfloor heating is the cats ass - it's a local company, that my bro deals with. there was an older version that was much thicker, and prone to accidents while being installed. this stuff comes in a one piece matte custom fit to your floorplan! so ours came in two pads, one for the kitchen, and another pad for the dining room. basically you lay down a light skim of mortar, then lay the matt down - then simply apply your morter as you would laying tile right on top of it.
that simple - and seriouosly, in the morning it's warmer than the carpet :D