The new "Old Hickory" Paring and Butcher Knives.

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Fishtail Picklock

The new "Old Hickory" Paring and Butcher Knives.

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

I have a new Paring Knife and Butcher Knife (in that order). With some judicious work on my Spyderco triangle "Sharpmaker" unit, These knives have taken an edge that need to be felt to be believed. While relatively inexpensive, the "Old Hickory" carbon steel knives still function remarkably well.

In today's "disposable" society, it is refreshing to own knives from the "old school" mindset. I'll probably own these knives until I'm gone. This means a great deal more than the knives that cost more, yet somehow don't seem to last as long. Made in the USA to last between 20 to 30 (or more) years, these "all American" knives somehow mean more. You really have to appreciate attributes such as these.

Quality, durability, function and value... What more can one ask?
Fishtail Picklock
Viking45

Re: The new "Old Hickory" Paring and Butcher Knives.

Post by Viking45 »

I agree with you 100%. Years ago (not that many actually) I wanted a nice Japanese 9 inch "Slicer" and was willing to pay between 100/200 bucks just to have a premium kitchen knife.
Things took a quick turn and suddenly my passion for knives and having the best or the finest changed dramatically. I started thinking why am I wanting this fine cutlery? How does this fit into my life?
I finally decided that "Old Hickory" is just what I wanted,good ole American carbon steel to cut my meat and veggies.
Fishtail Picklock

Re: The new "Old Hickory" Paring and Butcher Knives.

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

VIking 45: In 45 minutes, I put a vinegar-induced patina on my Butcher and Paring knives. After I re-hone the edges, I can take them into the kitchen with less concern over the "demon red rust".

This works for me!
Fishtail Picklock