Fixed blade knife for hunting

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Don't forget our hosts for a folder!!!!
http://www.skm.to/bin/skm.cgi/pager/p/o ... 8113235168
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I have one and it is beautiful and razor sharp.
jthm

Post by jthm »

missaman. pm me if you're ever in seattle. I've got a knife that'd be perfect. just got it today, and it's ugly as fuck. you can have it if you pick it up. I have enough projects, and after my friend saw what I did with his sword in one day... I'm gonna have alot more work. who would have thought people would pay me money to make old rusty blades shiny and sharp again?
Sam Hotton

Post by Sam Hotton »

Good morning Mr. Vagrant,
You are quite right, I overlooked the SKM pocket knife. I did not know they produced a knife such as this. That is a wonderful little field knife. Lanyard bail, nickel bolsters, real horn scales, and a corkscrew as well. Now I have to ask several questions. I understand the main blade and the pen blade, I also understand the hook for drawing a game birds entrails. What is that curved and blunted blade for? Cleaning horses hooves perhaps? I also recognise a saw with a wood cutting kerf similar to a lot of European knives, yet when on picnic in Europe I never had occasion to saw wood. I've often wondered why a wood saw was included on Swiss Army and Mikov knives. Am I missing out on some rural woodcraft fun? I am most curious about the curved blunted blade. Do you think Tiny could get one of these knives for me?
Sam
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The bluted blade is made for slitting a skin without cutting innards, someone discovered it also cuts seat belts with less chance of injury to an accident victim. The saw? splitting a pelvis, cutting kindling, cutting a "window" through brush on your deer stand, cutting notches and trigger parts on a snare in a survival situation, the longer you have one the more uses you find. You can live without it but it's nice to have even if you only use it once.
Sam Hotton

Post by Sam Hotton »

Well Sir, I am truly impressed, that saw would be very usefull in many situations. The gutting blade/seat belt cutter is really very clever. Now, how do I get one of these elegant field knives?
Sam
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Sam Hotton wrote:Well Sir, I am truly impressed, that saw would be very usefull in many situations. The gutting blade/seat belt cutter is really very clever. Now, how do I get one of these elegant field knives?
Sam
The easy way to get one is order one from SKM. A much harder way would be search until you find Lion Steel then contact them and see what terms they have. [Some Italian companies want $1000 minimum order so
it might not be the best way]. I got the one I have from SKM. Next spring if business is good I may order some for the flea market but that is only a maybe. [Business was terrible this year].
missaman

Post by missaman »

Sam I'll get in touch with you, maybe we can combine an order i like that one too. :D
Missaman
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Yeah missaman go and visit the little homocidal maniac and let us know how it goes.
PB
missaman

Post by missaman »

Mr. Button. thanks for the info...
as for Sam....
Jonney the homosexual masterbator are not the same guy.
Sorry Sam see ya soon
Sam Hotton

Post by Sam Hotton »

I had a welcome visitor for the Thanksgiving weekend, it was Missaman and his friend Richie. Missaman came early enough for the Cutting of the turkey and all the trimmings. Wife Patti out did herselfwith food prep, 12 year old Willy boy did the table settings and decorations, Beagle dog Charger was happy with warm meat to eat and friendly hands to pet him. Missaman brought a Messablades for me to look at and click, littleuns and bigguns. I've never handled a fish tail pic before, now I want one. I've heard that a large swing guard feels and sounds like nothing else, now I know. He had two for me to fire, yup, gotta have one as well. Swing guards are sweet. Wife Patti even liked some of the wee little vest pocket ball pulls and candy striped scale knives. Boy willy was in love with Missamans 13" Wandy, now thats a knife. I opened up my Machinest tool chest which has my meager collection and shared my toys with Missaman and let him play for a while. The living room kinda sounded like spanish castanet players for a while, lovely music. We then went to my 100 yard indoor shooting range (converted chicken house). We sighted in Missamans .54 caliber inline muzzleloader and checked the sighting on his grandfathers .300 Remington pump. We got the muzzleloader to keep all shots in the bull and the pump of grand father was allready there, the old man must have had a good eye. Missaman is a good shot as well, must have grandpas genes. By this time his friend Ritchie had arrived from Baltamore, we met him and went back to my house for thanksgiving dessert and drinks, he had already eaten. Good conversation on knives, hunting and things in general followed. We all had to get up early the next morning so they took off for there hunting camp. A fine Thanksgiving with fine folks.
Sunday, I recieved a phone call from Missaman, he downed a buck with Grandfathers .300 Sav. Remington. I'm sure his Grandfater is smiling. Missaman and Richie came over to my house and then to the range to shoot there pistols. We had lots of fun with the little "Shooters", .22, .32, .38, .45. The 1911 .45 was very accurate. They had a Bull and Oyster roast to go to that afternoon. We said our goodbyes and we talked of another visit this summer. I have'nt had so much fun and good cheer on a Thanksgiving break in a long time. by the way, guess what knife he cleaned his deer with? A Switchblade. Wait till he tells you about it or ask him why.
Sam
missaman

Post by missaman »

Sam,
I just came in from my garage after cleaning my guns and found your post :D
I too had a great time! you and the family treated me and Richie as old friends. And Patti sure can cook. Willie can set up a bench rest like nobodys business...
I do hope we can meet up this summer with my girls. I'm sure they would love to meet Y'all.
I dropped the deer off to be buchered this morning, Karen wanted to have the pelt tanned. It should be ready by this coming summer.
As for the rest of the story...
At 5 AM I'm walking, well more like stumblin' thru the woods to my tree stand with a flashlight looking for the cats eyes... and there it is...
I climb this contraption and wait for sunrise....
At 7:30 out walks a buck YAAHOOO, I take aim pull the trigger and it won't pull!!! AHHHHH.
While Mr Buck is wondering around I'm taking the mag out , checking the chamber for a round... All lined up :shock: I did not have the slide all the way extended..
All systems GO lined him up and POW down he goes... well for about 3 seconds.. and off he goes.
Not knowing the area I go back to camp to wait for someone who does...
Richie shows up 30 min later complaining about no deer. Oh yea I shot one but he ran off...
So we drive out to the stand and sure enough there is a blood trail and off we go...
The buck only ran 30 yards or so and dropped..
Rich looks at me and says Well gut the deer... I search my gear and find I don't have one with me :oops: .
I say You have a knife?? Richie admits he is is bladeless as well :shock:
I / we drag the deer out of the woods an load it in my pickup....
Back at camp we gut it with a 11 inch leverlock ( too big for the job) I see all the advise i got here was correct..
30 Dam knives in the trailer and I walk out without one...
As I looked at the stars tonight to put grampas well cleaned and well loved Remington 300 to bed i just had to smile.
Not only was he smiling but i think he was chuckling as well 8)
Missaman back in da hood 8)
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I said that gun was special now it's more of a treasure.
Gramps knew what he was doing. [And aren't we more like family all the time]?
Doc Rocket

Post by Doc Rocket »

It would depend what you are hunting, large game small game or upland/water birds.

Without question I would fully recommend a "ORIGINAL"Russell Belt knife for every occasion. Both me my brother and my father before me have used this blade. I have slit, gutted skinned over 40 deer 3 elk and one 1,500 moose that I have taken with this same knife. I own about 25 so called "hunting knives", tried them all on rendering tasks but many are just too big or brittle for a proper job. I have also guided for a few years and have seen client with a lot of useless but pretty pieces of steel & have cut and skinned 25 animals for others.

Most of the animals I have taken have been hundreds of yards to miles from any type of vehicle. Sometimes in very rough country. So quartering an animal is usually the only answer. You want to gut an animal immediately to bring down the body cavity heat and avoid spoilage. (At 60 degrees you only have hours) Even in snow a small deer is "dead weight and hard to drag. The best way is to carve your game into smaller quarters/sections. Etc. and use a pack board to bring it out. Even with an atv you are often faced with a distance and dragging an animal will bruise the meat horribly and make sections of it tough from blood retention.

So what you need is a good solid hasp knife, avoid folders like the plague except on small game and birds. I've broken my share on brisket and inside joints. Then you are faced with something sharp that may work it's way out and look for you. You need something simple and strong. A blade that has a curve to it, and without much of a point. Not too big a knife (like a bowie) so it is easy to handle and does what you want it to. Remember in hunting conditions you will be tired and stressed. This is not my opinion, just my experience.

If anyone would like a description of the cutting skinning experience just ask and I will provide it.
I love my country...
It's the #*# goverment...
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Normally this would go in Blade pics but this French Hunting Knife seemed a good example of what is NOT ideal. The idea behind this one is that it is used to "finish off" a wounded animal [especially Wild Boar] NOT used for
normal skinning and dressing.