bayonets;the kind that make a rifle a spear

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
DISTORTION

bayonets;the kind that make a rifle a spear

Post by DISTORTION »

does anyone love the bayonet like i do?

methinks a better,more durable knife does not exist!

albeit not as kool as a switch,but equally usefull as a tentpeg if needbe.

can i get a HELLYEAH! :twisted:
The first step in avoiding a trap,
is knowing of its existance...................
DISTORTION

Post by DISTORTION »

DAMNIT!! wrong index, :oops:

perhaps somemore coffee.

Probably a good idea.... :lol: :lol:

Best wishes..Teddy
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Distortion
I gotta admit you keep me hopping with all the different topics your coming up with. I don't think that who ever designed a bayonet centuries ago figured a rifle would make a good lance or spear. They were designed for 3 reasons
1. You had a big heavy knife for hand use.
2. You had a weapon that could be attached to your rifle which in colonial times were about 7 feet tall and with the bayo you had fantastic reach. But the thing was so long and heavy that you didn't have mobility.
3. See 2 only diff is your overrun and have ammo but it takes to damn long to load and someones rushing you right now.
I personally would have kept it by my side and used it by hand. Once you swatted away an enemy rifle and could move in close it was all over but the memories for you enemy. As the bayonet progressed into the 20th century it got smaller and lighter. Another thing the colonist and British would do was throw them away since they were big and cumbersome and they had enough weight to lug around (funny some peoples prioritys.) anyway bayonets is a very big and broad subject that I think Al is gonna have some fun with. But never think of your primary weapon as a spear. One wouldn't dig in rocky soil with a buster Warenski knife.
PB
DISTORTION

Post by DISTORTION »

very well-stated mr. pushbutton,
it would seem there is no limit to the depth of knowledge you posses,
i look forward to discussing the matter with AL.

my favorites are yhose of swiss manufacture,very light and
completly deadly,in-hand or mounted to sig. 8)
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Newer bayos are made so differently but still have drawbackas opposed to a good custom fighter. You are limited to one blade shape. the handle is made only one way and for a lot of people won't fit there hand correctly.Also they have different utility features built in that can snag at the wrong moment of deployment. And they are still cumbersome compared to a sleek 10" perfectly balanced blade using G-10, Micarta or carbon fiber scales light but stronger then most natural materials. Some are so light and fast you have to keep looking to see your actually holding and moving your arm with a knife.
Bob
bladerunner28

Post by bladerunner28 »

I just got an SKS, unissued until now..Packed in cosmoline. Under all that crap, I found a very nice Bayo..It doesn't easily detach, and is not particularly sharp..But when those renegade deer come charging at me, I can stick em' REEEEAAAAL good with ole' Kalishnikovs knife...BR28
DISTORTION

Post by DISTORTION »

perhaps these problems led to the advent of the trenchknife.
no gettin around having a good grip on it since the design encompassed
brutish brass-knuckles and a double-edged bloodletter.
vis-a-vi..one size fits all,not exactly custom,but a fighter no doubt!
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Distortion
The original trench knife was mfg by L F & C (Landers Frey and Clark)In 1917 for WW1. Its purpose was primarily for starting trenches because the blade was long and thin and shaped with 3 sides like a triangle. the handle was wood and depending had 7 pieces of metal attached to the gaurd sort of like brass knuckles. It could be used as a weapon but couldn't cut for it had no working edge. I have seen a pic by a mod here of a LF &C with the brass knuckles. Now that would make an awesome weapon but it was never really issued. One reason being it was awkward because the knuckles weighed a bit so sheathed it was top heavy ready to tip or fall out. But they were never made to replace Bayo's only to add other dimensions to fighting steel.During WWII your F & S and V-44 Stillettos came out not to count the thousands of theater knives soldiers were making for them selves. Like I said the whole Military aspect of knives could have a forum bigger then this one.
PB
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

A man without a bayonet is like a fish without a pogo stick.
DISTORTION

Post by DISTORTION »

say what?

the motorcycle hasnt got ant teeth,and thats the cold,
un-forgiving truth of the matter. :roll: