machate sp? needed

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
missaman

machate sp? needed

Post by missaman »

The one i purchased at Wal Mart sucks, it won't hold an edge and is too light. Does anybody make a decent one? I'm trying to cut up some of the smaller stuff from my oak tree
Thanks,
Missaman
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Ontario now owned by Queen Cutlery makes a good one 1095 is used. If they are anything like their other simple no nonsense under $50 work horse's you can't do better. I have a Bowie fashioned after the Carlson Raider model with 10" blade that I use every spring and fall and then cleans up and touches up nicely I think I paid maybe $40 a few years back. There are others out there but if your ordering by mail you can never be sure of the steel. Also I seem to have a dim light way in the backmost regions of my brain saying that ColdSteel might have one also.
PB
missaman

Post by missaman »

Mr. P.B.,
You were reading my mind :shock: I was just looking at a Cold Steel machete on ebay. I Have never owned any of their products. At under 10 dollars? I don't have much to loose if i bid on one. I was also looking at some of the kukri style large knives as well. Is cold steel a good name??
Missaman
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Cold Steel makes a decent product. Alot of it overpriced. There Carbon V steel is great but they only use it on a few the Bowie being one. Lynn Thompson is a master of deception . He'll make videos showing what his knives can do and coming up with exotic names for his steel but never really tells you what it is He's like the P.T.Barnum of the knife world. I personally don't own any and would have been happy to get his rendition of the Loveless Big Bear model but it was AUS-8 which is great on a pocket knife but not on a monster. Prone to chip. But he sells knives and people like them. By the way anyone care's Smokey has a special on the lge peacekeeper $25 I think . Good deal.
PB
Sam Hotton

Post by Sam Hotton »

Good evening Missaman,
Collins used to be a favorite with the boys in the jungle work of both Central and South America. Its an old name with a good reputation. Even the natives like them although they like to shorten them to a more manageable length for their size. You might try contacting a good surveyers supply as to a source. I've had one since 1980 and other than a little handle reshaping it's perfect. Hope this helps.

SAM
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Machete.
See http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php?t=1631
I'll agree with Sam or go along with the Kukri [var.sp.]
Both are great.
Gonzo_Beyondo

Post by Gonzo_Beyondo »

You need a Khukuri!
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Al
Are the collins the same quality today though? I didn't mention Collins cause frankly I didn't know they were still in buisness. For a Kurkis go to BF Bill Martino sells the real deal and has a forum there. I have never heard a bad word about the man.
PB
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

No idea if the Collins is still made or what the quality is if they are, but scrounging the flea markets may turn one up. I know a dealer that had a couple [one WW-2] last time I looked.
Sam Hotton

Post by Sam Hotton »

Good evening guys,
After looking over the net, it APPEARS that the "Legitimus Collins" machete finished production in 1965. HOWEVER, I bought a second Legitimus Collins in 1996 exactly like my first which was purchased in the 1980 time frame. I purchased it in a Surveyers Supply in Salisbury, Maryland. These were new with correct labels and tang stamps, they must have had at least 15 on hand. The "Legitimus Collins" is NOT to be confused with the machete as produced by Blackie Collins. Different animal. I have no knowledge or inputs about his product.
Regards,
SAM
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Well if the Blackie Collins machetes are like his knives or I should say the Co that produces them I would stay away.
PB
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

to tell the truth mr missaman, i have never bought a machete before, and the only one i ever used that i liked was the one i inhereted from my grandmother (she kept it under her bed)..it was old, with a thin blade, which i would reccomend over a thicker style one, and when it was sharp i could cut through 4" vine maples in a half dozen schwacks...

as far as modern items, i've taken a few second glances at some of the ones made by "fox" of italy, but also you can't go wrong with cold steel for function and performance for the price!
missaman

Post by missaman »

Gonzo_Beyondo wrote:You need a Khukuri!
Mr. Gonzo has lead me into an unusual journey to another land where one must ride a bus :? for 10 posts where i was led to nepal.
One khukuri was ordered.
i also have a "spanish" sword comming via ebay...
That oak won't stand a chance....
Mr. Bigg,
I'm still saving some for you
Missaman
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

Bought a Tramontina machete off Ebay a couple of months back for $10 cdn.I think there made in Brazil and well worth it.
http://outdoors.free.fr/s_article.php?id_article=49
Have been using it to clear a piece of land i just acquired, and it holds an edge very well and for $10 bucks you can't go wrong.
:D

Just found this site and they have them at good prices, in case anyones interested.
http://www.bladez.com/tramontina.html
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Tramontinas are great for the price. I have a couple and love them. My Collins [that I "stole" for $5] is quite old and a very special Machete'.